Cast Iron Steamers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Treemoss

Sep 1, 2013
LI NY
Hello, do steamers really work. Should i buy a humidifier or stove top ones work. Also do the decorative steamers really blow smoke out there tiny holes or a bigger opening is better. Thank you Jim

I finally bought a tea kettle from Tractor supply for some humidity. It does work as you could expect but I'm not that sensitive to dry air anyway, more so bought it for my wife.

we have the kettle from TS as well, i took the lid off it completely and it works a lot better (imo) it does put moisture in the air but no where near as much as an actual humidifier, i like it though because my wife will put different potpourri blends in it for aromatics which is nice.

Reactions: Beer Belly
A humidifier definitely puts more out but the stovetop pot is better than nothing, it does add moisture to the air.

I keep a steamer pot on the stove.. it works great. I mostly use it at night. And it definitely makes a difference.. you can see the steam coming out the pot .. to run the pot is free and has no sound and doesn't break.. to run a humidifier will cost you electric, you hear it run, and eventually will need to be replaced

Reactions: marty319
We used a Tea Pot style for a while, and a couple times it would boil out of the spout and onto the stove, so now it's a decoration. We have since bought one with a top that allows more steam to come out.....much better. We also place it on a Divit.....at least I believe that what they call it.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Toby tuckered out 1-1-17.jpg
    Toby tuckered out 1-1-17.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 263
Thanks for the tips , I think I'll buy a large one with the big opening. I would like a little bit more moisture in the room and by not using electricity to do that is better. Also will it leave a circle mark on the top of the stove eventually. Should I place it on something like a plate or divit if it is called that. Thanks

How do you like the enameled steamer? I'm thinking about picking one up tomorrow when I take back the unneeded stove pipe. I have a TSC kettle that works well, I'll take the lid off next time tho.
I like it alot.. that one is 4yrs old and gets used every overnight burn and alos during the day when were home.. it has held up well, i would purchas it again if i need to. Got that on off Amazon

I consulted the famous Guide to Easy Livin' on this one, after seeing how silly expensive the cast iron ones for inserts are ($$$).

An old loaf pan (steel, not aluminum), water, a little mulling spice, and for pennies, we have warm, moist, wonderfully scented air in the house.

IMG_20181214_171914534.jpg

Good thing too, since the neighbor had their septic tank pumped today, and it smells like the pumping truck had some spillage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I consulted the famous Guide to Easy Livin' on this one, after seeing how silly expensive the cast iron ones for inserts are ($$$).

An old loaf pan (steel, not aluminum), water, a little mulling spice, and for pennies, we have warm, moist, wonderfully scented air in the house.

View attachment 235790

Good thing too, since the neighbor had their septic tank pumped today, and it smells like the pumping truck had some spillage.

It always smells like that, no matter how good the tech is.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I see that you also have two thermometers! I watched the temp on the Defiant like a hawk, but the new stove is much easier and I don't have to worry about a spontaneous overfire with shifting winds. Does your stove top temp correlate with flue temp? My stove manual says thay flue temp is important and doesn't say anything about stove top temp. I still have a thermo on the stove top, but mostly because I'm curious.

I see that you also have two thermometers! I watched the temp on the Defiant like a hawk, but the new stove is much easier and I don't have to worry about a spontaneous overfire with shifting winds. Does your stove top temp correlate with flue temp? My stove manual says thay flue temp is important and doesn't say anything about stove top temp. I still have a thermo on the stove top, but mostly because I'm curious.

My stove is the encore. I watch both. I look at the flue temps when im running the stove after an all night burn and also when im in cat mode. I look at the stt when im getting it i to cat mode and also when burning it after an all night burn to clean up the glass. I really like this stove..

So we tossed our pot from last year cause it was gross by the end of the year. Is there a type any of you like? I’m wondering though if they all get gross when your burning 24/7!

So we tossed our pot from last year cause it was gross by the end of the year. Is there a type any of you like? I’m wondering though if they all get gross when your burning 24/7!
They all do yes. And they very often make a mess of the stove. I won't use one.

I cringe when I see what was once a beauty stove that has been rusted/corroded and overall abused by water spillage from using a steam pot. If we need moisture at our place we plug in a humidifier. A option for you to consider.

I don't know what your setup is but we have a good deal of floor space behind the stove...I just have an old
glass candy jar filled with water sitting on the floor close to the stove. Like @moresnow said, I didn't want spilled
water to leave marks or rust the metal parts.

I picked up the huge 4.5 L (1+ gallon) Morso steamer. Enameled cast iron. Will report back if I noticed any difference.

We were using a much smaller pot and I was refilling it too much.

Attachments

• PXL_20201106_225458595.jpg
    PXL_20201106_225458595.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: SpaceBus
I don't know what your setup is but we have a good deal of floor space behind the stove...I just have an old
glass candy jar filled with water sitting on the floor close to the stove. Like @moresnow said, I didn't want spilled
water to leave marks or rust the metal parts.
First I've heard of that method! Sounds like a good idea. Craving a treat now :)

I picked up the huge 4.5 L (1+ gallon) Morso steamer. Enameled cast iron. Will report back if I noticed any difference.

We were using a much smaller pot and I was refilling it too much.
I really like the big Morso kettle, I wish I had snagged one when I had the chance.

The stove top is a real poor, compared to a evaporative humidifier.

They don’t replace moisture fast enough! I went with a big humidifier a couple yrs ago, there are times I will go through 1-2gal a day in that thing to keep it 40-50% in the house.