Cast Iron Steamers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Handy to have a consumer grade indoor weather station. I spent about 50 bucks on Amazon a couple years ago, for a four sensor system. Three remotes monitor temp and RH, plus the display unit has a temp and RH sensor in it as well.

Looking at the display I can see right now +51dF and 24%RH where my incoming water pipe enters the crawlspace, +51dF and 22% RH next to my dehumidifier in the crawlspace, +64dF and 25%RH in my wood shop, and +67dF and 17%RH in my office.

While stovetop simmer pots are adequate for some/most/many, I found mine got pretty gross in just a few days. I know from experience if I can keep the RH above about 18% my wife is not going to have multiple serial nosebleeds.

I know I need about 2 gallons daily through the humidifier daily to keep my spouse comfortable in the depths of winter, but is super handy to be able to put a number on it. When I keep the RH above that number she doesn't complain. Need to have a target if you are going to shoot it at is all I am saying.