New Cast Iron Steamer Rust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsenalDon

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Meadow Valley, CA
I bought my wife a new cast iron steamer for Christmas.....I am already seeing some rust forming on the rim.
Anyone have any idea how to stop rust from forming on black cast iron?

don't get it wet?

honestly, If there is an answer to that question, i'd like to know it too.

Reactions: madison
As above. Iron and water = rust. Note that the box it came it probably has made in china, so the black paint probably has some nasty chemicals in it as well. Please don't even think about making a cup of tea with that thing.

Used one for one season, the kettle had nasty gooing rust and slime after a couple weeks, the stove top also scratched and rusted.

I'd think that the right paint on there if it coated it well may help slow/reduce the rate of rusting. Enamel would be ideal, ha! Our cast steamer (a dragon) has only a bit of rust on it inside so I presume the paint may be better than the average for protection.

I've been thinking of letting it dry out then try a layer of oil like I do my cooking pans in hope it will seal it off - but I don't leave my cooking pans with simmering water for days on end so I don't know if this will really help or not.

Stone doesn't rust. :)

As above. Iron and water = rust. Note that the box it came it probably has made in china, so the black paint probably has some nasty chemicals in it as well. Please don't even think about making a cup of tea with that thing.

Used one for one season, the kettle had nasty gooing rust and slime after a couple weeks, the stove top also scratched and rusted.
Never! It is for a bit of humidity only

Any oil will do but animal based fat is best. Crisco as mentioned or even a little bacon grease will protect it. Clean it - get it hot w/o water in it and wipe a layer on with a paper towel. I would do just the inside and around the rim so it is not getting all over the stove. wipe and excess off with a clean paper towel and let it penetrate by leaving it on the stove w/o water for a bit. The areas with wear around the lid may need a little extra from time to time but anywhere else should keep rather well.

Reactions: Hawkeye1873
Status
Not open for further replies.