1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

technical info for Jotul 118

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by worthy, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worthy

worthy New Member

Hello hello~I recently purchased a Jotul 118 in very fine condition. I am looking for any technical info that might be available, including UL listing numbers and installation guidelines. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Jotul's website has no technical information on the older models. Forget going to Underwriter Laboratories website for help, I could find no sign of Jotul there. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    your stove will have a tag on the back that gives you the listing, and who it was tested by. If there isnt a tag, then it isnt listed. I dont have any old 118 manuals, you might go to the jotul website and email the tech department.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
  4. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    BB, thats the new black bear manual, it looks identical to the 118 but has a different listing and different clearances.
  5. worthy

worthy New Member

The only email address I managed to find on their website was jotul@hearth.com. I've tried that twice...my mail doesn't go through, comes back to me. I mailed letters today to Jotul in Gorham, ME and Portland, ME. No tag on my stove. I may have to buy a newer model. Thanks for your help.~B
  6. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Older stoves often had tags that were simply glued on....yes, it it true! I've seen such tags on Old Mills, Uplands and many other stoves...they last a couple of years if you are lucky!

The 118 was UL approved pretty early in the game - probably 1979. You can probably dig up a manual somewhere.....a dealer who sold these stoves for many years such as Lehmans Hardware in Kidron Ohio might be one possible lead.

Woodsmans Associates has parts and parts lists for this stove - maybe they have a manual

This type of stove is usually installed as "generic", meaning using the NFPA generic clearances - 36" from sides, rear to wall, etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.