Teensy Trailer gets new deck and more.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
i have a tiny little 40x48 (?) trailer that I got from menards for under $200 a few years back. Started out its life with a plywood box for moving stuff. it was 40x48x48, so not huge, but it held a decent amount and kept it all dry during travel. then a couple of years ago I had some left over 3/4 OSB subflooring and some 2x3 boards, so i made a quick deck that was about 40x72. That was a good size for me, but the materials were crap for that application, so i bought some treated decking and a little leftover treated 2x4 and here's what I got.

Threw the bearing covers quite a while ago, as well, so I found some bearing buddies on Amazon and installed them. Then I had to reaffix one of the fenders with some angle bracket and a couple of holes and now it's as good as new.

doesn't haul much (~1000lbs), but is nice for yard work and toting around a riding mower, or whatever else I want to. Still can't wait to find the right truck, but until i do, this is all I have, lol.

Attachments

• IMAGE_001 (Small).jpg
    IMAGE_001 (Small).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 865
  • IMAGE_002 (Small).jpg
    IMAGE_002 (Small).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 579
Beats a wheelbarrow any day. Are those stake pockets on the sides?

SolarAndWood said:
Beats a wheelbarrow any day. Are those stake pockets on the sides?
They are, but the way i have the deck set up now prevents me from using them. I might cut the sides to get at them. It wouldn't require more than 1.5" out of the sides. It'd probably make it safer for hauling firewood, too. I've just been using ratcheting straps to hold the wood on. Pretty sure there's a picture on here somewhere with me hauling wood that way.

just measured the stake pockets, they are actually .75"x3.5" so I think i could cut up some decking to fit in them then put some eye hooks at the top and strap the tops together to keep the load in there. I might mess around with that idea or some other ideas soon. Right now, i'm really looking hard for that truck......

Good luck with the truck, after that then you can look for a bigger trailer for overflow from the truck. I use a van to pull the trailer but sure would like a 4wd 3/4 ton truck alot better.

I also have a small trailer 4x7 cut down from a larger trailer. Bought it used for $75. Put on a new used deck, recycled drop down sides and new used tires. Its small but very functional. I load about 100 splits on it and park it near my back door. When its empty I fill it up again. Trailers are very functional.

I use several small trailers around the yard and they come in very handy the largest is 6x8 and an old snowmobile trailer with 2' sides ,one is a 15 cu ft yard cart with sides extended up another 18", and the last is an old JD 4 wheel trailer 3 x 5 with a 3" channel steel frame I have loaded around 1000 or 1002 lbs of bricks in it with no problems, what a beast.

That looks like the same trailer as mine. Bought it at Harbor Freight years ago for a little over $100 and stopped at Menard's on the way home for a sheet of plywood and a 1x4 board for the stack pockets (Menard's had the same trailer at that time but they wanted a few more dollars then the other place). The 2x4 side stakes were added later. I never put the lights or safety chains on it as it's single purpose was to for using in the woods behind my ATV. Has been a tough little trailer.
IMG_4432.jpg

Quads, yours looks exactly like mine, but I know there are two different brands out there that HF sold and one was the exact same as the menards one. Mine is the Long Chih brand, and the other brand is Haul Master or something like that. they look identical to me, but I've never had them side-by-side. at any rate it's earned its keep around here. I've hauled so much stuff with that over the last few years. probably around 7 cords of firewood, half a ton of pavers, stones for trimming the flower garden, a cast iron bathtub and a lawnmower or two has hitched a ride.

here's one of my favorite pictures. The old lawnmower hauling the new (to me) lawnmower:

Attachments

• NikonL10 059 (Small).jpg
    NikonL10 059 (Small).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 442
  • NikonL10 060 (Small).jpg
    NikonL10 060 (Small).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 420
Here's my custom trailer. Bought the torsion suspension frame for $75 from CL. Cut down the frame, put on used 2x6 deck boards, fabricated the drop down sides from friends junk pile, wheels $25 from CL, bought the tongue new.

Attachments

• wood trailer.jpg
    wood trailer.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 491
Cool pictures, one lawnmower hauling the other!

My trailer has hauled every stick of firewood I have cut, ever since I purchased it (except for the months this winter when the snow was too deep and I used the little sled). When I bought it from Harbor Freight they advertised it as U.S Trailers (or something like that, it was the same as Menard's had at that time) with a logo that also gave the impression it was American-made, but of course it wasn't even close. I have the title for it and am reading it now so I can copy the name of manufacture that is printed on it: Changzhou Nanxiashu. Ha ha!

Here's the toughest little trailer I have ever used

Attachments

• 4 wheeler with 4wheel trailer.jpg
    4 wheeler with 4wheel trailer.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 511
Status
Not open for further replies.