telescoping single wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Just curious if there is such a thing. I want to fix my stove setup, this is the first horizontal exit stove I've had and it's a royal pain to move or even tilt it's 700 lb self to insert the pipe. Surely there has to be an easier way. I'm just doing my cleaning I never did at the end of last season so remembering now I got to fix my setup. Currently I had pipe that was just barely able to fit in there, but it leaves not much overlap in the connections, I can actually see into the pipe in one of the seams. I need to get longer pipe in there, but I don't see how its possible unless I can get some kind of telescoping section.

Ya I just googled it. Its out there

DuraVent's DuraBlack has them too.

Thanks this should make things much easier. House hit upper 50's this morning for first time since last heating season... it's getting close!

Well belay that, I should have given more details. Seems like most telescoping sections are 4' +/- which is way to big for my fireplace install. I measured the distance from the stove collar to the tee at 18". So after a bunch of searching I came up with this... https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/sgl-wall-blk-telescoping-stove-pipe-sizes.php the smaller one says 18-30" how is stove pipe typically measured, from tip to tip or does it not include the part that seats into the next pipe? Basically I have 18" I need to fit the pipe into, then expand it to fit tightly.

Typically the higher end single wall pipe isn't interchangeable with other brands. Just in case you didn't know. You need a 1' piece of pipe and a 12" slip. The slip can even be cut down if needed. Any local hearth shop should have it in stock.

Reactions: DAKSY
Well belay that, I should have given more details. Seems like most telescoping sections are 4' +/- which is way to big for my fireplace install. I measured the distance from the stove collar to the tee at 18". So after a bunch of searching I came up with this... https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/sgl-wall-blk-telescoping-stove-pipe-sizes.php the smaller one says 18-30" how is stove pipe typically measured, from tip to tip or does it not include the part that seats into the next pipe? Basically I have 18" I need to fit the pipe into, then expand it to fit tightly.
Duravent has short slip sections. To fill a slightly larger than 18" gap you could get a 6" or 12" section and add this slip section.
Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 12.00.36 PM.png

Typically the higher end single wall pipe isn't interchangeable with other brands. Just in case you didn't know. You need a 1' piece of pipe and a 12" slip. The slip can even be cut down if needed. Any local hearth shop should have it in stock.

No actually didn't know, I've hooked up several stoves now just with the universal stuff. I'm just going from the stove collar (just standard type collar) to a standard type tee snout, with a gap of about 18" between. I went to my local hardware store and while they had lots of pipe and connectors they had nothing like what I need. Called the closest hearth type shop (not exactly close) and they acted like I was crazy and said they just lean the stove out or in the case of a tee in the fireplace they said they just push it back - apparently they have never done one with a block off plate that solidifies the position of the tee.

begreen will that duravent hook up to regular pipe or is that special like what webby is talking about? It does appear to have some funny notches in the end instead of the regular crimped end.

Not sure but it might work. Is the tee snout end crimped? To be sure give M&G a call:
Tel: 800.835.4429

No actually didn't know, I've hooked up several stoves now just with the universal stuff. I'm just going from the stove collar (just standard type collar) to a standard type tee snout, with a gap of about 18" between. I went to my local hardware store and while they had lots of pipe and connectors they had nothing like what I need. Called the closest hearth type shop (not exactly close) and they acted like I was crazy and said they just lean the stove out or in the case of a tee in the fireplace they said they just push it back - apparently they have never done one with a block off plate that solidifies the position of the tee.

begreen will that duravent hook up to regular pipe or is that special like what webby is talking about? It does appear to have some funny notches in the end instead of the regular crimped end.
Sometimes the tee snout needs crimped, but single wall usually fits of with a little planning. No matter the brand..
We install 35-40 woodstoves a year, maybe more? and never ever install one without a slip section of pipe. For ease of installation, but more importantly so it can be cleaned properly in the future. Your "local" hearth shop must be more of a hardware store than a hearth shop!

Not sure but it might work. Is the tee snout end crimped? To be sure give M&G a call:
Tel: 800.835.4429
The tee is not crimped - same as the stove collar, basically on the stove pipe will need to have crimped ends on both ends. I do have a double ended crimped connector.

Unfortunately the shop was a real hearth store, all they sell is stoves and pellets and stove accessories. Maybe they misunderstood, I could call and maybe talk to someone else, but they did clearly say they just tilt the stove forward to hook up. There are other hearth shops but we're talkin' an hour away or so, 2 hour round trip just for a slip connector I think I'll try online. I've tried two other local hardware shops and while they carried an assortment of pipes and fittings none to make it adjustable.

The tee is not crimped - same as the stove collar, basically on the stove pipe will need to have crimped ends on both ends. I do have a double ended crimped connector.

Unfortunately the shop was a real hearth store, all they sell is stoves and pellets and stove accessories. Maybe they misunderstood, I could call and maybe talk to someone else, but they did clearly say they just tilt the stove forward to hook up. There are other hearth shops but we're talkin' an hour away or so, 2 hour round trip just for a slip connector I think I'll try online. I've tried two other local hardware shops and while they carried an assortment of pipes and fittings none to make it adjustable.
Like I said, Crimp the tee snout. Use a 1' piece of pipe and a slip cut to length. Make sure to screw all the connections together.

Like I said, Crimp the tee snout. Use a 1' piece of pipe and a slip cut to length. Make sure to screw all the connections together.
Out of curiosity why would you crimp the tee snout and not the other piece, or use one of the double crimp ended couplers (that was what I was already using)? Also I'd have to buy the tool, and it would be a major pita to do it in place, and even bigger pita the get the tee disconnected. I don't understand the reasoning here, unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.

Out of curiosity why would you crimp the tee snout and not the other piece, or use one of the double crimp ended couplers (that was what I was already using)? Also I'd have to buy the tool, and it would be a major pita to do it in place, and even bigger pita the get the tee disconnected. I don't understand the reasoning here, unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.
Sometimes the tee snout is the same size as your stove pipe, or nearly anyway. If you crimp it then you can insert it into the female end of the connector pipe. You always want the male ends pointing down hill, the way you had it with the double crimped part is incorrect. Gotta pay to play! Or just take it in and have it crimped if needed. Usually doesn't though.

Status
Not open for further replies.