Tell me about hearth rugs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
My XXV was just delivered (yay!) and the delivery guys felt that it was going to need a hearth rug in front as we'll be an inch or so short on the 6 inch front clearance once the stove is in place.

I've looked online and I see braided wool and knotted wool rugs being sold as hearth rugs. Is that all I need to be a "hearth rug"?

FWIW the town inspector said that a hearth rug would be fine if I was short...I just want to be sure I spend my $ on the right thing. :)

Thanks all!

Mary

mfglickman said:
My XXV was just delivered (yay!) and the delivery guys felt that it was going to need a hearth rug in front as we'll be an inch or so short on the 6 inch front clearance once the stove is in place.

I've looked online and I see braided wool and knotted wool rugs being sold as hearth rugs. Is that all I need to be a "hearth rug"?

FWIW the town inspector said that a hearth rug would be fine if I was short...I just want to be sure I spend my $ on the right thing. :)

Thanks all!

Mary

well, as long as the town inspector accepts it, fine, but in most places hearth rugs are specifically excluded as being adequate for the clearance issues of stoves.......I cant comment about CT, but in the all-knowing state of MA, they are specifically excluded for this situation. like I said, if the building inspector will allow it, cool, but that still doesnt make it safe....one problem alot of these guys have is that the hearth rugs are too easy to remove, etc....

So do I need one of those ugly black metal plates instead? To be safe?

Yep. Until the inspector leaves, then you can put it away.
You only need it while you burn your appliance. Keep it in
place during the heating season, then stash it for the summer.
Another option is to put it UNDER a hearth rug. That way you
can't see it, but you will still be burning safely...

DAKSY said:
Yep. Until the inspector leaves, then you can put it away.
You only need it while you burn your appliance. Keep it in
place during the heating season, then stash it for the summer.
Another option is to put it UNDER a hearth rug. That way you
can't see it, but you will still be burning safely...

Ooh, I like this idea. I can get a black 18X48 extender from my dealer (pick up tomorrow). If I put it under a flat wool rug (braided or hooked) then I should be good to go?

Thanks!
Mary

P.S. I've got some gorgeous bluestone/slate in the backyard, left by the previous owners. It's probably 3 inches thick and in good sized slabs. Maybe I could figure a way to work some of that into a design, eventually...

[quote author="mfglickman" date="1328223213"]I can get a black 18X48 extender from my dealer (pick up tomorrow). If I put it under a flat wool rug (braided or hooked) then I should be good to go?
Thanks!
Mary

Just make sure the rug's rated as "Fire Retardant", Mary.
They generally don't catch fire, but will kinda melt & smolder
a little if a hot ember lands on them. Usually, that's not an
issue with a pellet stove, but your safety is NOT something
to take lightly.

P.S. I’ve got some gorgeous bluestone/slate in the backyard, left by the previous owners. It’s probably 3 inches thick and in good sized slabs. Maybe I could figure a way to work some of that into a design, eventually…

Now THAT sounds like a viable alternative!

Check with the inspector before you buy.

My town wouldn't accept anything but permanent masonry work to extend the hearth for the 1.5" I needed.

I went on line to look at Hearth Rugs and they were priced from $70 and up. I then went to Lowes and purchased a Hearth Rug for $15.00. Why the difference in price? Apparently the rugs at Lowes are not fireproof yet they get away with calling them Hearth Rugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.