Tell us about your hobbies....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Organic Gardening, Really into it. My garden is about 50 x 150, all fenced in with chicken wire, just ordered 4000ft of drip tape. I make alot of compost, I even grind/shred all the wood bark, It makes one hell of a mulch.Over the years I have rasied garden about 12 to 16" above the grade. Last year I did the double dig for the whole garden. then I went down the middle and dug a path and lined it with core timbers. I did this so I can plant or harvest no mater what the weather is. Oh ya, I almost forgot, FIG TREES

Fall/Winter: deer hunting w/ my daughter (bow, shotgun, muzzle loader); duck hunting, and some rabbit hunting.

Late winter/Spring: 1/2 Marathon training, doing the Cincy Flying Pig in May and the USAF @ Wright Patterson AFB in September which means training winter through summer

Spring/Summer: gardening, softball, training for 1/2 marathons which means running 20+ miles a week

fv

More of a "life style" :)

The horses occupy my time, they need to take up more of it.

The Real Dixie & I
(she's a Cheesehead :) )

dixjersey2.jpg

IHA6906c.jpg

Matisse, rescue mare. Picked her up in Jersey

MatisseFloopyTrip10-06006.jpg

ShogunJack, for those who remember

Jack32508c.jpg

Gardening, cooking, and of course, keeping the house warm.

Doesn't take much to make me happy
animal0048.gif

fespo said:
Organic Gardening, Really into it. My garden is about 50 x 150, all fenced in with chicken wire, just ordered 4000ft of drip tape. I make alot of compost, I even grind/shred all the wood bark, It makes one hell of a mulch.Over the years I have rasied garden about 12 to 16" above the grade. Last year I did the double dig for the whole garden. then I went down the middle and dug a path and lined it with core timbers. I did this so I can plant or harvest no mater what the weather is. Oh ya, I almost forgot, FIG TREES

Got to like that. Can you add your general location to your profile so I don't have to keep asking what your growing region is? Ditto for adding your stove to your signature line. My addled brain cells can't keep track of everyone's location and stove.

Everything. I think I do just about everything. I often tell people that I'm not someone who is spectacular at any one thing, but instead I'm "just ok" at about a million things. if it's not a current hobby it's probably a past or future one.

Reactions: Jack Fate
Before, i used to hike, hunt, fish, dream about my eventual house and had a lot of friends I was seeing on a regular basis ( involving a lot of beer and patrying). Had a 40 / hour week job and was broke. Since seven year, i got this crazy 3000 hour / year job on the road, plus a wife, 2 new kids ( 3&1) and started to build a house, no more so called 'hobby'. Work work work, then trying to be a good dad & husband. Haven't put a nail on the house in the past 7 month. In year 3 of a 10 year plan that right now I feel will turn into a retirement project in 30 year from now ( finished a basic 2 bedroom apartment in the basement that is suprinsingly cozy when we're home. Hey, got the major basic of the landscaping done this year !!! The very few moment i have, i am spending it reading mostly on housing stuuf to help me make my mind on how to finish the interior of this dang house, and eventually designing my radiant / wood boiler setup. And if really i find few minute extra in my day, I'll have a beer..... Averaging 3-4 bottle week, far to beat my own score...... And i have this piece of land that need a lot of work as well, but I am seriously starting to think to go back to be broke again, ride an older truck and have TIME for my self and the familly and have ME to work on my house and cut MY own wood instead of having someone else to do it, so I am basically brain washing myself so I'll be able to quite this crazy good paying job when my opdest daugther will start school....... Then, I will re-discover what hobby means. But it'ok, I may getting a little fater than i use too, but I jut turn 30, hopefully still many year to go and get back to a normal life......

In my free time I like to sleep. Reading all these hobbies has made me tired, I'm going to take a nap.

Guess I'm currently working for a hobby. Full-time job is overnight and for the last 4 years I've been part-timing it at a golf course during the day. Also started working my own small-engine service business "officially" last year with the intent of growing it to keep me busy full-time. With my son arriving later this month, something will have to give this year and it will probably be the golf course but who knows?

I'll get a real hobby one day...

I own a house have a 3 yo and a 1 yo son a dog a camper a couple of tractors a fleet of cars.

Who has time for hobbies, I spend all of my time taking care of the above.

In the winter I put the 'lake top property' out on a nearby bay on Lake Winnipesaukee and try my luck at ice fishing. The actual catching of fish is secondary to just being out on the lake with the most incredible views of the surrounding mountains and the lake. I sold my snowmobile this fall so that is one less thing to keep me busy this winter (no snow yet anyway).
Summer= 15x40' vegetable garden, some golf. I work at a marina so my free time in the summer is equal to one day a week. I also have a jeep and hope to get out on the trails a little more this coming year...

Rob

This has been the year of the garage. I've been building a 30x60x14' tall pole barn in the backyard.

My biggest hobby has been offroad motorcycle racing in these events called enduros, wonderful brain workout combined with physical testing, not a maximum speed type of race. Also do at least one all out desert race per year.

We are also RV people (reason for garage) and use the old powerstroke ford (another hobby) to tow the camping trailer all over the state.

The final hobby is tractors and land clearing. I tow my 30 HP tractor to our 15 acre rural property to terrorize the vegetation and pioneer the forest.

Maintaining my house and two cars became a hobby to keep some dough in my pocket. Other than that, aside from spending time with my family, I enjoy any outdoor activity. (hiking, camping, fishing etc). I also got into the ham radio hobby a few years ago and upgraded to extra class earlier this year.

our main hobby is Halloween, build all sorts of animated pneumatic props
will have to dig up some pictures
our 1977 Cadillac hearse, wifes favorite drive it everywhere month of October
she enjoys going to dinner, all you can eat shrimp at Red Lobster and parking in front
convert the house into a haunted mansion,the yard into a cemetery complete with stone columns
gates and fencing multiple real caskets and tombstones
we call it The Haunt on the Hill, kids dont even come around anymore( I think we captured them all)
other times of the year enjoy cruising in the Challenger and general up keep of 4.5 wooded acres
keeps us busy

Jags said:
ironpony said:
enjoy cruising in the Challenger

Please elaborate.
Some people are clueless. I'm sure he has a tracked Caterpillar Challenger that he cruises in. Duh.

Danno77 said:
Jags said:
ironpony said:

Please elaborate.
Some people are clueless. I'm sure he has a tracked Caterpillar Challenger that he cruises in. Duh.

It could be the retired space shuttle.

Jags said:
ironpony said:

Please elaborate.

Maybes not a good idear Jagsy...did ya read his post in the "I need ideas please" thread..... :eek:hh: :lol:

Danno77 said:
Jags said:
Danno77 said:
Jags said:
ironpony said:

Please elaborate.

Touché

Dodge Challenger R/T, Hemi, Furious Fuschia (color pink)

farmer next store has one

Challenger space shuttle (boom)

not into fencing

ironpony said:
Dodge Challenger R/T, Hemi, Furious Fuschia (color pink)

farmer next store has one

Challenger space shuttle (boom)

not into fencing

YEAR???

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Jags said:
Danno77 said:
Jags said:
ironpony said:

Please elaborate.

That was my first thought, 'cause no one cruises in a Mopar, do they?? :sick:

Too busy chirpin' gears to really call it cruisin'...

ironpony said:
1973 pro street Challenger 440 6 pac 4:88 10 pt cage 10.30 car

NOW WERE TALKIN'. I have my 73 neatly tucked in for the winter. Its more street than strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.