Tell us about your hobbies....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ironpony said:
Jags said:

hemi is a 2010

1973 pro street Challenger 440 6 pac 4:88 10 pt cage 10.30 car

That's my kind of 6 pack. Yessir. Friend of mine had a '71 440 R/t clone (Originally a 318 Auto w/Factory A/C). He rebuilt that 440 .060 over (long story) and swapped the 4bbl for a 6 pack setup. Sold it to buy a Bimmer, I slapped him.

I actually use cutting wood for a hobby, that and working around the house. It's hard for me to sit down and do a hobby, but I'm starting to do some writing.

I have a '72 Pontiac LeMans which I restored about 20 years ago. Its to the point now where it needs a second restoration, a real one. I'll probably sell it, but I say that every year. I bought a '69 GMC 3/4 ton pickup last year for plowing. I'd like to restore that.

I dabbled in pottery for a while. I was to the point where I could make the basic forms on the wheel. I have talented friends who would lend me some clay and a wheel when I was feeling creative. I brew beer from scratch. I also play the fiddle for my own amusement, the annoyance of others, and for contra dances.

I am also a recovering amateur radio operator.

Some of my hobbies are hiking/mountaineering, camping, I have a bass boat and love to fish/tournaments, mountain biking, atv'n, drinkin', rock crawling in da jeep (theres only one), and spending quality time with my 10 year old son, who is into the same stuff minus the drinking ;-) He and I would like to finish section hiking the appalachian trail, about half to go, and finish peak bagging the rest of the 4000 + footers in new hampshire. We are about halfway done that as well. Trying not to live in fast forward.

Jags said:
ironpony said:
1973 pro street Challenger 440 6 pac 4:88 10 pt cage 10.30 car

NOW WERE TALKIN'. I have my 73 neatly tucked in for the winter. Its more street than strip.

My brother has a '73 he's been working on forever. Convertible.

I'm a computer geek, so I guess that is a hobby (and a living).

I also like to ride my '97 Harley Sportster 883.

I'm a ham radio operator.

I like to go fishing, and hope to do more of that. Camping too.

I'm play the Euphonium and the English baritone, and hope to jump back in with the Central Ohio Brass Band this summer after taking a couple seasons off due to work and our new baby.

-SF

Fairly avid disc golfer, resto-modding an 84 VW Rabbit and dabble in concrete tables and stuff.

So the hobbies I really enjoy are surfing, mountain biking, hiking, helping people in need, and laughing my head off. I'm pretty passionate about health and fitness.

Right now my son is only 4, and we have another one coming so I haven't surfed in 4 years, mountain bike rarely, but I do occasionally find opportunities to help people, and we do go hiking (shorter hikes for now), and exercising has become increasingly difficult to find time to fully commit as I am accustomed to doing.

So truthfully, with a young family hobbies just take a back seat for a while. I'm amazed at how many of you have such interesting hobbies. I feel like such a lamo.

My hobby is mountain biking. I like outdoor things - hiking, camping, snowboarding, swimming, x-country skiing, and whatever combination of these activities sounds fun, but mountain biking is where I spend most of my time.

I have on more than one occasion trucked choice pieces of firewood out of the woods on my rack. This is a small black oak stump.

Here, my wife and I biked our camping gear to a secluded lake for an overnight swim. Hammock tents rule, especially for bike camping, because they're a small, light package, and you don't need flat nor level ground to set up - just a couple of trees.

The mountain trails where I ride funnel down to my house along some ditch trails that were cut during the gold mining era and have been maintained ever since. The entire ditch system includes maybe 60 miles of these trails, some of which go into these tall flumes. That stack of wood is one of my preferred lunch stops.

One of the aspen forests behind the ski resort.

This is my current ride: 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29er. Soooo fun!

Adabiviak- awesome pictures man. I hope you are walking that bridge. :bug:

this is the other hobby

Attachments

• popup-mask-smoke2.jpg
    popup-mask-smoke2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 444
firecracker_77 said:
I was foolish enough to start a company, so now I slave away at that most of the time

+1 on that...plus a day job too

Aside from that, anything gearhead related (good thing the biz centers on that-well part of it anyway), vintage (cameras, automobilia-also figures into the biz, and anything interesting which is why the Cottage is eclectic, such as a 1950's enamel table, 1920's china cabinet and 1940's grape crate shelves), photography, gardening, the Cottage (it needs enough work to qualify as something and "hobby" sounds a lot better than "money pit" lol)

I miss our boat, but doubt we'd have time for it. I would be a hobby farmer if we had more space, I do still want some chickens. I want a reindeer...but we don't have the space. I'd totally drive a one reindeer open sleigh into town if I had one...

ironpony said:
our 1977 Cadillac hearse, wifes favorite drive it everywhere month of October
other times of the year enjoy cruising in the Challenger and general up keep of 4.5 wooded acres
keeps us busy

Ever been to Woodward?

homebrewz said:
I bought a '69 GMC 3/4 ton pickup last year for plowing. I'd like to restore that..

Plowing? EEk...salt... Did you at least oil it?

eclecticcottage said:
homebrewz said:
I bought a '69 GMC 3/4 ton pickup last year for plowing. I'd like to restore that..

Its not on the road and I only use it on the driveway. Believe me, we need it.. well, maybe not this year.

homebrewz said:
eclecticcottage said:
homebrewz said:

Its not on the road and I only use it on the driveway. Believe me, we need it.. well, maybe not this year.

Oh, whew...gotcha. I imagine you do...either the lake will getcha or the mountains.

Adios Pantalones said:
Also took a short intro blacksmithing class last night that was really fun- highly recommend, and can't go wrong at $60.

Money well spent. Very nice. I bet you will be good at it AP.
That hook can come in handy if you dress up like Captain Hook for halloween. That was the first thought that came to my mind. I know, I know, I have issues. :lol:

I have been doing community theater off and on for about 25 years now, after I came to my senses and realized that being a professional actor just wasn't going to happen. Last month, I appeared as Scrooge in a production of "A Christmas Carol, the Musical" with a local theater group, and my daughter, a sophomore in high school, was also in the production. I will attempt to upload pictorial proof, since the motto of Hearth.com is "pix or it didn't happen".

Attachments

• Scrooge.jpg
    Scrooge.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 306
Excellent fredarm! Bah Humbug!

Fredarm, that's awesome. Pantalones nice work, man. That's cool. Blacksmithing.

DaFattKidd said:
So the hobbies I really enjoy are surfing, mountain biking, hiking, helping people in need, and laughing my head off. I'm pretty passionate about health and fitness.

Right now my son is only 4, and we have another one coming so I haven't surfed in 4 years, mountain bike rarely, but I do occasionally find opportunities to help people, and we do go hiking (shorter hikes for now), and exercising has become increasingly difficult to find time to fully commit as I am accustomed to doing.

So truthfully, with a young family hobbies just take a back seat for a while. I'm amazed at how many of you have such interesting hobbies. I feel like such a lamo.

Hang in there, D ! My truck, trailer, and Dixie came after Erin graduated from college. It took awhile >:-(

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
In the winter I put the 'lake top property' out on a nearby bay on Lake Winnipesaukee and try my luck at ice fishing. The actual catching of fish is secondary to just being out on the lake with the most incredible views of the surrounding mountains and the lake. I sold my snowmobile this fall so that is one less thing to keep me busy this winter (no snow yet anyway).
Summer= 15x40' vegetable garden, some golf. I work at a marina so my free time in the summer is equal to one day a week. I also have a jeep and hope to get out on the trails a little more this coming year...

Rob
Growing up in ME that thing you call fishing through the ice was refered to as "ice drinking"
I've been tied up in so many DIY projects over the past 5yrs I guess that's my mainstay hobby - resided 2 story cape down to bare studs with Hardie board, Finished kitchen gut/remodel last spring with custom hickory cabinets, Den, dining rm, master bedroom complete. 2 Upstairs bedroom and 2-1/2 baths left to go.
Of course their is a lot of hydration in my routine.
I hunt atleast 3-4 days a week depending on my shifts and OT needs at work Nov-Jan. Emphasis on the "hunt" part - missed a doe and a buck of a lifetime within minutes of each other last week.
Do the whole garden thing in a 30-20 raised bed, I have no flat land on 12acres. Trying to grow a "big" pumpkin had one reach ~70lbs last yr.

BASOD said:
Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
In the winter I put the 'lake top property' out on a nearby bay on Lake Winnipesaukee and try my luck at ice fishing. The actual catching of fish is secondary to just being out on the lake with the most incredible views of the surrounding mountains and the lake. I sold my snowmobile this fall so that is one less thing to keep me busy this winter (no snow yet anyway).
Summer= 15x40' vegetable garden, some golf. I work at a marina so my free time in the summer is equal to one day a week. I also have a jeep and hope to get out on the trails a little more this coming year...

Rob
Growing up in ME that thing you call fishing through the ice was refered to as "ice drinking"

Sorry for the de-rail here. All I can think of is the Bob Marley ice fishing skits.

this when time permits.

Attachments

• 05-02-09.jpg
    05-02-09.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 592
  • 20236_1313678438546_1128219055_30974001_5619848_n.jpg
    20236_1313678438546_1128219055_30974001_5619848_n.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 590
Status
Not open for further replies.