1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tell us about your hobbies....

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by woodmiser, Jan 3, 2012.

1. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY

Thanks. That's good to hear. To be honest, I'm not complaining. I'm very aware that this time is precious and I'll never get it back. one thing I'm trying to do is switch my gym membership to a gym that has child care. This way I can bring the little guy with me and give my wife a break. I do really miss going to the gym.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kenny chaos

kenny chaos Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,ny

Wow. You have it tough. :roll:
    Best of luck-
    Kenny
  3. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    You gotta do what you gotta do. Giving the Mrs. a break ..... priceless [​IMG]
  4. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Hey smoke show. I think your boating hobby would be much easier if you used a boat rather that those ATVs. :)
  5. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio

are you trying to drown the ATV????
    or
    did you break through the ice???
    if so
    lose some weight
  6. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    Timely thread for me. Just moved out one 26' truck, two 17' trucks, five pickup trucks pulling a 12' trailer, and eight trips full of junk with my Camry wagon (each trip with yet another canoe on the roof rack). It's amazing the crap you accumulate in 21 years staying in one place.

Yesterday was the very last of it (except for about 10 cord of pine logs). My buddy Greg with the trailer helped me move my forge, three anvils, a 300 pound canoe form, and various partly-completed metal working projects that had the 6000 pound trailer pretty well maxed out. His thoughts?

"Dan... you really need to get some lighter hobbies."

Nothing like packing and moving everything you own to make you shake your head in disbelief at your own follies. When I met my wife, my only hobbies were fishing and playing the guitar. In the 33 years since then I have added (and often abandoned) dozens of major and minor interests. Not necessarily in chronological order:

- gourmet cooking
    - musical instrument making and repair
    - canoe tripping
    - martial arts
    - fly fishing
    - boatbuilding
    - bamboo fly rod making
    - large format photography
    - home brewing
    - metal sculpture
    - blacksmithing
    - hot glass work
    - outdoor guiding
    - BBQing
    - welding
    - wood turning
    - chainsaw carving
    - silversmithing
    - beaded jewelry making
    - fly tying
    - shotgunning
    - gardening
    - knife making

Latest hobby is sitting in the recliner with a whisky and a pack of tobacco, rollings cigarettes while watching the pellet stove keep my aching old bones warm. It's quite obvious to me at this point that my hobbies and possessions have had a firm hold on me, rather than the other way around. Time to start letting go and just enjoying my remaining years. They say that the man who dies with the most toys wins. Well, I think I'll be selling a few things on E-bay in the coming months. Let some other guy win.
  7. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Batten- sounds like we're cut from the same cloth in this regard. I like learning things, then often move to something else when I'm confident in the skill. I can count a dozen or more hobbies over the years, and I may be starting on blacksmithing
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Thats my problem. I want to do everything. Heck, I even pour my own fishing sinkers. :smirk:
  9. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Wow, 5 pickups to pull a 12' trailer. :roll: That must have been some load, or else there are some tough hills between your old place and the new one! Rick
  10. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    About 2 years ago I read a book about John Adams, which led to most of the founding fathers. I started buying apple trees, now I've got 12 apple, 5 plum, 2 apricot, 1 cherry and one peach. I planted a rasberry patch. Small little lot in the swamp without a lot of sun. Pretty stupid to waste $500 on trees in this location, but I have dreams about picking my own apples 20 years from now.
  11. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    You live in, imo, the perfect place to take up this hobby. Or reasonably near, I don't know if you're north, south, east or west of the blue line...but close enough. I don't envy the black flies though. I'll take the sand flies over them anyday.

I forgot to mention that I would like to take up canning and root cellaring. I need a lot more space to garden...and a root cellar first though (we don't even have a basement).
  12. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    My hobby is being a beast of burden for my wife - and the rest of the family. That is, hauling everyone and everything everywhere.....!
    :coolsmirk:

Hmmm...not too many hobbies these days. I'm sorta ADD, which doesn't go well with the patience required to build a boat or anything much........

I enjoy a lot of things - mostly nature, sailing, walking, computing (obviously), politics, writing.....and maybe a little tennis or skiing when I can get it in.

I don't like TV. I don't like going to the movies. I told you I was ADD.

I enjoy reading - mostly history, but some other stuff. Well, really, mostly history...non-fiction or fiction.

I like taking pictures.

But none of them actually qualifies currently as a hobby.
  13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Say it every time one of these threads comes up, my hobby is heating my house.
  14. kenny chaos

Loc:
    Rochester,ny

Very interesting.
  15. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Speed reader.....but you probably could have guessed that, eh?

You should see me skip over stuff that is not relevant. I'm the ultimate test of a good book...IMHO. Many times I only get 1/3 of the way through.
  16. kenny chaos

Loc:
    Rochester,ny

Hahaha. I've only found about four good books but would love to find many more.
    Kenny
  17. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    You'll like this one. No kidding.
    It was free on kindle (you can download to your computer and read too)...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Penal-Colony-ebook/dp/B004VTHSA6
  18. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Hobbies .......... hmmmmmm ..................................let's see....................e, f, g, h, here we are, let's see, hamburgers, hammers, hamsters, heat, hemp, high, hi-ho, hillbilly,hobbitses, houses, hungry, hydrangea, nope, don't see 'em on the list anywhere. What are these things of which you speak ????
  19. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Dowsing for water (or other underground treasures), throwing sharpened sticks at small animals, analyzing my own handwriting, researching age-related memory loss...others will come to mind, I'm sure (with any luck). %-P
  20. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    Hobby... why, I'm working on my "Bucket List," of course!
  21. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Fishing -salt, fresh, ice and flyfishing and tying flies.
    Woodcarving-songbirds,ducks,shorebirds. I used to be a competitive bird carver years ago.
    Woodworking -Craftsman style furniture making, furniture restoration, repairing and re-purposing.
    Small Craftsman style hand-hammered copper sheet work.
    Wood turning - mostly saltwater poppers.
    House restoration to reflect the period of when it was built.
    Carpentry and trim finish work.
    My next project involves carving interesting grained wood, into Netsuke-style carvings. Much bigger though.
  22. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Twas my buddy, he's a lil chunky.

I'll let him know.

What fun would that be? :lol:
  23. UMainah

UMainah Member

Loc:
    Bangor, ME
    Geocaching!
    Fireworks Shows (the real ones during the holidays since I'm a Licensed Pyrotechician)
    Reading
    Skiing (not much this year)
    Hiking

I want to start vermicomposting

Tons of other random stuff that I think might be interesting at that point in time.
  24. varna

varna Member

Loc:
    SNJ
  25. Stump_Branch

Stump_Branch Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD
    I used to be into anything lacrosse. College over so is that.
    Bought a house and decided to just replace everything. Should have just built new. That takes up basically all my time.
    Still enjoy hunting, get out whenever i can. Used to trout fish, but those days are now put toward the house.
    I just love building anything. Had a ground up built mustang, till i wrecked it, luckily making it out with my life. Wife says no more sports cars for awhile. Im fine with it. Have too many slow things like a diesel jeep and a 76 yamaha dt 360 to work on.
    Got chickens, more of a chore.
    Trying to learn everything.

And then i started collecting woodstoves...