Temp gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

husky345 vermont resolute

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2012
london, ontario
Guys where is the best location for my temperature gauge ef2df553bb482f2d675a243674be34ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep mine a couple of inches away from the flue collar slightly forward and offset to the left or right side.

IMG_1218.JPG

To me, it's all relative. Put it in a convenient spot (not where you want the pot) and learn what your stove does when the thermo reads whatever. If your cat engages when the thermo says 250 or 400 is irrelevant, as long as it is consistent and you know what is going on.

My old thermo stopped working. My new one read different values in the same location. Until I realized this, operating the stove sucked. Once I realized it, operating the stove was a breeze.

The temp on the exterior of the stove in any location is really just a proxy for what is going on inside.

The temp on the exterior of the stove in any location is really just a proxy for what is going on inside.

Which is why I by far prefer a flue probe thermometer, far more accurate and indicative.

Reactions: oldrockhead
Correct, as Bfitz1 said all stove locations will be at different temps. The top being the hottest. So pick a spot and use it as back up information of where the stove is at. I run my stove based on the burn cycle, looking at the flames in the box. Not the stove top temp. But my stove is not a cat, so I'm not dealing with that.

Used to keep fish that liked water so hard it was referred to as liquid rock.