Temperate Climates vs. Cold Ones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This note is not a slight directed at those of you that live in the fairly temperate zones of the country. I say good for you to those that live in the warmer climes. I may be forced to join you before long. The point of this missive is to point out that people in the warmer climes may not be qualified to offer accurate advice on wood stove's for people that live and breath extreme cold weather, and offer advice to people like me that live in the fridgid cold clear areas of the country that regularly experience temperatures at -20 below zero for weeks at a time.

I'm talking Maine cold, much like Minneapolis cold, where everything is so freaking cold that it refuses to work. There are many creaks and squeaks in this kind of climate. And Calais ( pronounced Cal-Las), Maine often has the coldest temps in the country. Again I try to qualify this as there are many forum recipients that have lived in these cold climes before moving to warmer areas.

Heating in very cold climes is different than heating in moderately cool, and sometimes cold areas of the country.

Hoping not to offend some members of this forum. But there is a difference.
Regards Joe

Calling N of 60 -----calling N of 60. We have a guy claiming cold weather here. :lol:
Ahhh...he's probably out ice fishing. Never mind.
Just pulling your leg. I don't think where you live is as important as what you drink. :coolsmile:

Really, I got nothin' here.

Well, being from a temperate climate and having lived in a cold climate (northern MN), I offer my opinion with geography/climate taken into consideration.

However, as a user, you should also put more weight in recommendations from those that live near your location.

Bottom line: this is not a formal association with certifictation required to post recommendations so it is reader beware.

OK, fair enough. Should we ask Craig to subdivide the forum by latitude? Average winter low temperature? Wood species burned? Average number of heating days per year? Pretty soon I'd just be talking to myself...well, I do that a lot anyway, but not on the computer. :smirk: Rick

Therefore, since it isn't as cold everywhere else, then people seeking information on stoves, wood and how to use them should ignore information from Maine wood burners? :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Therefore, since it isn't as cold everywhere else, then people seeking information on stoves, wood and how to use them should ignore information from Maine wood burners? :coolsmirk:

I know I'm going to ignore recommendations on pronunciation of words of French origin from there. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
I know I'm going to ignore recommendations on pronunciation of words of French origin from there. :lol: Rick

Mon âne est mort.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Mon âne est mort.

Sorry to hear about your Donkey BroB. :down:

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Mon âne est mort.

Je suis tres désolé, mon ami. :down: Rick

JPapiPE said:
All of you who spoke in jest...at my expense, Kudos... I live in Maine and here we get 9 months of snow and hardship and the other 3 months it's damn tough sledding
Smiles Joe

Joe, lighten up. It's an equal opportunity forum. We all realize that there are regional climates in the country and that we don't all face the same challenges in terms of keeping ourselves and our loved ones warm. But I, for one, don't look to this forum as a place where we worry about "I've got it tougher than you do" sorts of things. I'm a softwood burner. It's all that's available. Easier to split, but I burn 7+ cords in a season. I've got my own axe to grind, so to speak, as each of us does. Please forgive us if we've offended. Boys just want to have fun. :) Rick

Joe you guys up there have it like I told North_of_60 in the Yukon and Willcat that they do. Winter, Thursday then winter again.

So if a stove is crap down in the warmer climates, will it not be crap in the colder climates?
Everyone has to read each post and consider it for themself. Houses are insulated different, outside air is different, there are so many different variables.
I for one will not take advice on someone say in New Mexico about hoiw long it takes for wood to season. In Virginia, it is hot and humid. Wood seasons differntly with or without humidity. Just like a stove is going to operate differently here with outside temps in the 30's or the 20's vs -40.

pinewoodburner said:
So if a stove is crap down in the warmer climates, will it not be crap in the colder climates?

I guess that must be the case. Some people on the Forum own stoves that I think are crap, but they love'em. Must be the weather.

BrotherBart said:
pinewoodburner said:

I guess that must be the case. Some people on the Forum own stoves that I think are crap, but they love'em. Must be the weather.
Baahhaaa ha ha...the weather....Hey your not talkin' bout me are ya?

Edit: %-P

Fantastic responses folks. I consider it bad form on a forum to discourage anybody's input in response to a question or problem. Almost as bad of form as when someone makes a post directing the original poster to use the search function.

Highbeam said:
Fantastic responses folks. I consider it bad form on a forum to discourage anybody's input in response to a question or problem. Almost as bad of form as when someone makes a post directing the original poster to use the search function.

C'mon, highbeam, this has all been discussed before...why don't you just do a search on it? 8-/ Rick

just say'en...I always look where a poster is from so I can get a feel of their heating requirements.

I find that, for me, one of the most interesting aspects of this forum is the fact that we have folks participating from all over the place. I learn stuff from their inputs, even if the specifics of their particular situations may not be directly applicable to my particular situation. I like it. Very much. Rick

kooP said:
if u cant afford to "do it right" & freeze to death, it aint much diffferent than cremating oneself accidentally. is it?

Freezing doesn't require the outlay and effort that a stove and firewood requires. Lot less shopping to do too. No warranty issues etc.

Whether your burning an old Fisher (like me) or an EPA certified stove, pine or oak, Maine or Florida who cares as long as your burning and not giving your money to the oil mongers. :coolsmile:

If we are going to go to zones? I want mine called "Canada`s California". That title just makes me feel warmer ;-)

sonnyinbc said:
If we are going to go to zones? I want mine called "Canada`s California". That title just makes me feel warmer ;-)

OK by me, sonny. I propose my zone be "Oregon's Canada"...that's what it's felt like to me for far too many months now. (although I did carefully consider both "The End Zone" and "The O-zone"). :) Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.