Temperate Climates vs. Cold Ones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No trouble seasoning wood here. I live in an arid, semi desert climate, 38 north, 12 inches of rain and 315 days of sun per year. Coldest temp since records began is 4 degrees below freezing. Typical January temps: daytime high 62; night-time low 42. Typical July temps: daytime high 88; night-time low 68. Am I disqualified yet?

I am starting to think of Vancouver Island as the "Twilight Zone".

bokehman said:
No trouble seasoning wood here. I live in an arid, semi desert climate, 38 north, 12 inches of rain and 315 days of sun per year. Coldest temp since records began is 4 degrees below freezing. Typical January temps: daytime high 62; night-time low 42. Typical July temps: daytime high 88; night-time low 68. Am I disqualified yet?

Yep. Ya need to put a big fern in that gorgeous fireplace of yours.

bokehman said:
...Am I disqualified yet?

Just those sunglasses alone disqualify you. Unless, of course, they're soley to protect you against snow blindness. :cheese: Rick

BrotherBart said:
I am starting to think of Vancouver Island as the "Twilight Zone".

You are a fine one to talk! Wouldn`t even open the door and let Dave in-just left him out there to freeze. Oops!! Maybe that was Hal :gulp:

Some of the threads on here are beginning to resemble DNA. We need Crick & Watson. :wow: Rick

I've never seen a wood stove in an igloo .

Dontcha just eat penguin jerky and sleep inside a reindeer until the Spring thaw?

billb3 said:
I've never seen a wood stove in an igloo .

Dontcha just eat penguin jerky and sleep inside a reindeer until the Spring thaw?

There will be a lot of that next winter.

Penguin jerky hey, now that I gotta try!!! Sleeping in reindeer, not so much!!!

Well, back to the subject of the original post, I have also noticed in some of the "Which stove/insert should I choose?" threads that some responders will suggest that since X unit heats their 2,400 sq. ft. house fine it should be no problem in Y's 1,800 sq. ft. home, not noting that the responder lives in Virginia and the original poster in Minnesota or Michigan. As has been said many times the heating ability depends on myriad factors - house size, layout, insulation, exposure to wind, sun, the climate, etc., but one of the most important has to be climate - i.e. degree heating days, average temperature in the winter months, however you want to measure it. It also must be mentioned that some only seek to be more comfortable in their living area while others want to heat the entire house with their added investment. What they find adequate heat output in the end will certainly be influenced by their expectations. People seeking advice need to realize these things.

(Now back to the fun of the thread....)

MarkG

BrotherBart said:
Therefore, since it isn't as cold everywhere else, then people seeking information on stoves, wood and how to use them should ignore information from Maine wood burners? :coolsmirk:

Certainly not my good man. We aint' all the same up heah....yesah! ;-)

billb3 said:
bokehman said:
billb3 said:
eat penguin jerky[...]in an igloo
Where do penguins and igloos exist side by side?

You can't get there from here.

I've always believed they sent penguins north via the earth's axial wormhole. Is that not the case? Rick

I must comment on all the jokesters on this forum. While most of the jokes were directed at me a newbie, I could see the humor in a lot of the responses, but when 3/4 of the responses neither addressed my question, but were also belittling me...there is something wrong here. Especially the conceited french with their faux grasp of the language.

I think you all shopuld be ashamed of yourselves for such a ploy and am surprised that no moderator stepped in and said ..."ENOUGH BS" Answer the man's question or shut the F**K up.

Myself I speak 6 languages, compliments of the peace corp. Perhaps I should start addressing my quieres in Swahili and see how you french adviser's giver's fair. Don't pick on anyone, it is not proper etiquette, rude and certainly not acceptable in the civiized world.

Please forgive my spelling as i have been speaking and writing in Swahili for many years.

Your Humbile Scribe , Joe

Joe, relax....I don't believe anyone was intentionally attempting to belittle you. Just pokin' a little fun here and there.

I also think your question/statement was addressed on several accounts. Most folks that I've seen state they're from here or there, so the info is obviously geared towards others in similar climates/regions.

Have you actually witnessed a situation where someone in MN was telling someone in FL that they should have woodstove with a 3 cu ft firebox to take the Feb chill out of their 800 sq ft home?

Just curious.

Joe: none of the jokes were directed at you. we are all just having some fun, and for that we thank you. I mean, look at the comment about where I live being refered to as the "twilight zone". Now, I thought that was funny and it was directed at me. Not At You. Lighten up and enjoy the forum. It can be a hoot sometimes, just need to keep a sense of humour. ;-)

Yep. No question posted to answer. Even in the PM to me:

"Gee what a stupid answer...Have another 12-18 lights"

See ya guys. Got some wood split. When the temperature starts going up in a thread, I am outta there.

I have yet to find a Jedi penguin from Nar Shaadaa, or was Dantouine..................

Status
Not open for further replies.