Temperature for catalytic operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So the manual for our unit says to have a 500 degree temp to switch to catalytic operation. We have been using stovetop thermometer to determine temperature. We have 2014 VC Defiant. Since stovetop temperature is probably different than temperature at the catalytic element is this the correct way to know when to close damper and run catalytic? Thanks in advance for your wisdom. Appreciate you guys.

I have a Dauntless and the manual says the same thing. Also a noobie:)I close the damper to run the cat when my stovetop thermometer says 400 degrees. One way to see if the cat is working is to look outside at the chimney when the damper is open and then look out when you've changed to the cat. The particles should be much less with the cat. It's my understanding that the cat will not be harmed by switching at a lower temp, it just won't activate and the fire may die back without the draw from the open damper. I don't worry about opening the damper when the stove is dying down for the night.

I have a Dauntless and the manual says the same thing. Also a noobie:)I close the damper to run the cat when my stovetop thermometer says 400 degrees. One way to see if the cat is working is to look outside at the chimney when the damper is open and then look out when you've changed to the cat. The particles should be much less with the cat. It's my understanding that the cat will not be harmed by switching at a lower temp, it just won't activate and the fire may die back without the draw from the open damper. I don't worry about opening the damper when the stove is dying down for the night.
Thanks for your reply. I have read that if you run the cat under the prescribed temperature that it is more likely to clog up the cat. I also heard that it will build up more creosote in chimney. Maybe some of the experts on here can shed some light on this issue. My main question was whether the stove top thermometer being above 500 degrees is the correct way to determine whether to run catalytically.

Actually what determines weather the cat will lite or not is the flue temp not so much the STT. I can have the flue gas at 700 and the STT not go above 400. So I'll engage the cat when the CAT temp probe goes above 500 and don't care about the STT. Or you can run it without the cat. It's a flexburn and can run fine without it. Just won't burn quite as clean.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
Kevin...thanks for your thoughtful response....I understand what you are saying about the CAT temp vs the stove top temperature. I don't have a CAT temperature probe. Is there a simple way to get one? Should I just continue to base the decision on whether to run catalytic on the stove top because that is all the info I have? We like running catalytic because it seems it is more efficient in terms of heat generated vs wood consumed. Thoughts?

Highly recommend getting the Auber AT 100 digital. The probe just goes where the VC cat probe goes otherwise. You may have to enlarge the probe hole some with a drill and fabricate a different bracket hold it in place. To me it's indispensable. Mine I found to be accurate to within one degree. It will help you immensely in running the stove. I think mine was less than $100 for both the box and probe. But that was over 3 years ago so likely more now.

Reactions: nagrod
Highly recommend getting the Auber AT 100 digital. The probe just goes where the VC cat probe goes otherwise. You may have to enlarge the probe hole some with a drill and fabricate a different bracket hold it in place. To me it's indispensable. Mine I found to be accurate to within one degree. It will help you immensely in running the stove. I think mine was less than $100 for both the box and probe. But that was over 3 years ago so likely more now.
Thanks for the response. Appreciate the recommendation and your experience.