Temporary Exhaust Pipe ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGStG1aholic

Oct 16, 2012
I'm getting a new Harman this Saturday and since it's currently 12degreesF outside I want to relocate my Avalon 900-PS ser.#1192(older stove I think has a 3" "twist on" output pipe) to the other side of the tin shed(garage) to supply heat while I'm installing the new stove. It will only be in use a few hours hopefully, possibly a few days if everything does'nt go as it should. This way I can also have it running to show when I'm selling it after my new one is up and running.

My question is - can I hook up a piece of "flex pipe"( the kind you can get at a hardware store or auto shop) to the 3" output on the back of the stove? I believe the stove has a 3" output and accepts a "twist on" type of exhaust pipe. Could I maybe use heat tape to seal where the flex pipe slides over output pipe on back of stove? I don't want to spend a lot of money getting the proper connections because I only need a short 2 feet of pipe to go horizontally thru a tin wall for a few hours/days. Or do they possibly make an inexpensive 3" "twist on" adapter to hook onto the back of the stove to adapt to a regular stove pipe or flex pipe to go out the wall?

I've got a thimble to run my pipe out thru the tin wall so this end is taken care of.

any tips greatly appreciated, Thank you

Last edited:
Your house and your life .....................

I'm getting a new Harman this Saturday and since it's currently 12degreesF outside I want to relocate my Avalon 900-PS ser.#1192(older stove I think has a 3" "twist on" output pipe) to the other side of the tin shed(garage) to supply heat while I'm installing the new stove. It will only be in use a few hours hopefully, possibly a few days if everything does'nt go as it should. This way I can also have it running to show when I'm selling it after my new one is up and running.

My question is - can I hook up a piece of "flex pipe"( the kind you can get at a hardware store or auto shop) to the 3" output on the back of the stove? I believe the stove has a 3" output and accepts a "twist on" type of exhaust pipe. Could I maybe use heat tape to seal where the flex pipe slides over output pipe on back of stove? I don't want to spend a lot of money getting the proper connections because I only need a short 2 feet of pipe to go horizontally thru a tin wall for a few hours/days. Or do they possibly make an inexpensive 3" "twist on" adapter to hook onto the back of the stove to adapt to a regular stove pipe or flex pipe to go out the wall?

I've got a thimble to run my pipe out thru the tin wall so this end is taken care of.

any tips greatly appreciated, Thank you
Crazy idea comes to mind. You can buy the best of the best Selkirk 2 ft section of 3" pellet vent at Amazon for $23.00. It will probably cost you that for the truck exhaust pipe. I don't know, think if something gets against that uninsulated pipe and goes puff. You only need it to happen once and I don't know how your luck runs but mine would be right during that few hours or few days down time from the proper hook up.

Last edited:
Thanks alternative heat for the informative reply! I had no idea they were that cheap. I'm new to the pellet world and a friend told me the correct pipe was well over a hundred bucks, thus my hairbrain idea of the flex pipe

If they're that cheap I could probably find one at the local stove shop or good hardware store for just a bit more than amazon cause I need it within a day

Thanks again for the "crazy" idea :)

Thanks alternative heat for the informative reply! I had no idea they were that cheap. I'm new to the pellet world and a friend told me the correct pipe was well over a hundred bucks, thus my hairbrain idea of the flex pipe

If they're that cheap I could probably find one at the local stove shop or good hardware store for just a bit more than amazon cause I need it within a day

Thanks again for the "crazy" idea :)
Yes, what you want to do is a minimum install. The stove may or may not run well without a vertical rise. You would need the install instructions to find that out. But at least it isn't a fire hazard. Local codes also may have some dedicated height off the ground requirements.

If the new pipe section is for the Avalon, why not include it in the sale (with an appropriate upcharge)?

Status
Not open for further replies.