Termovar Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
Well as the heating season in almost back upon us it's time to fire up the boiler soon. I installed a Geyser Heat Pump water heater a month ago so I don't have to burn the boiler in the off season.

I posted in the green room about the geyser if your interested in reading about it (2 thumbs up)

Anyway, I read a while back and now I can't find it about maintenance or cleaning the Termovar that someone was doing.

Can someone tell me more about that and if I need to get spare parts ahead of time?

I'm entering my 4th full season so I'd like to get this out of the way ahead of time and I'm planing a full clean and check over this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

When I moved my boiler this summer after 3 full seasons, all I noticed in the Termovar was some discoloration of the brass, but no debris, corrosion, or other that indicated a cleaning was needed. My system is pressurized with treated water. New gaskets, if needed, are easily made from auto gasket material, and rubbing the gaskets with vaseline works well to prevent binding when the locking rings are tightened.

I fired the boiler this past weekend and noticed that my water is circulating to the tank past the Termovar right off the bat. So is there maintenance that can be performed or do I need to replace it?

Do you have the Termovar loading unit or just the mixer? I believe the mixer just has a thermostat, replacing this should solve the problem. The loading unit same thing except check for debris & sticking flap. With either one the casting isn't going to wear out, Randy

Just the mixer. I'll ask Tarm Biomass if they have them.

Thanks

All there is inside is a disk that seals the opening and a wax filled cylinder that lifts the disk at a certain temp. Not very complicated. I guess you could check for debris that might keep it from closing, and you can check the cylinder by placing it in a pot of water and slowly heating it up, at the predetermined temp the pin that lifts the disk should start to extend.

Greg H said:
All there is inside is a disk that seals the opening and a wax filled cylinder that lifts the disk at a certain temp. Not very complicated. I guess you could check for debris that might keep it from closing, and you can check the cylinder by placing it in a pot of water and slowly heating it up, at the predetermined temp the pin that lifts the disk should start to extend.

Great info. That will be tonight's task. I searched the web and found a place in Ireland that sells the replacement thermostat but for $66. I'll check for debris. That is possible because I have no filter on my system.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.