Termovar on supply side

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mole,

Thanks for the update and I am looking forward to your pictures.

I just got my black pipe today and the termovar does not fit into the female 1-1/4".

Looks like I will have to use 1-1/2" as per Free73degrees in the thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24370/

I have the 4440A-3 and the 6440AF termovar valves and am thinking of making a laddomat 21...

By your signature, I think you have the system I aspire to create. Do you have any system diagrams?

Mine is pretty much outlined at https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23613/

However, I am concerned of the power requirements to pump through all of my heat exchangers in the non-pressurized epdm tank.

Any advice?

SteveJ said:
Mole,

Thanks for the update and I am looking forward to your pictures.

I just got my black pipe today and the termovar does not fit into the female 1-1/4".

Looks like I will have to use 1-1/2" as per Free73degrees in the thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24370/

I have the 4440A-3 and the 6440AF termovar valves and am thinking of making a laddomat 21...

By your signature, I think you have the system I aspire to create. Do you have any system diagrams?

Mine is pretty much outlined at https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23613/

However, I am concerned of the power requirements to pump through all of my heat exchangers in the non-pressurized epdm tank.

Any advice?

OK Steve, the first picture shows the layout of the Termovar relative to the boiler and return. Termovar is in upper left hand corner of the pic, (insulation over it).
In the second pic., I took off the insulation so the bolted face is exposed and you can see the bottom lobes where the 1-1/4" threaded pipe screws in. (I painted the pipe and Termovar Rustoleum black before insulating, since everything rusts in my basement.) Don't know what to tell you about the threads on yours. I think I ordered one with female NPT (from Cozy Heat).

My system diagram (attached) is admittedly sucky and my heating system is very simplistic. I made a three stage charging system. Pumps P2 and P3 go on at increasing loop temperatures. P3, which pumps to a copper loop doing about 5 laps around the bottom perimeter of the tank, was designed to help in topping off the tank without idling the boiler. It directs more heat to the bottom of the tank as the top of the tank comes up to temperature. Rather than trying to stratify the tank, I wanted to stuff more heat into it by getting the whole tank to 170F evenly, since I don't want the top of the tank to go over 175 at any time (EPDM liner). It stratifies nicely when discharging though. The diagram doesn't show it, but in the storage discharge mode, the water is pulled backward through P2. Since P3 is an IFC, there's no reverse flow through this loop.

I know nothing about electronics, so I stuck with simple mechanical controls:
Aq -1 regulates Seton draft door (185F, 5deg differential)
P1 – (Taco 007) - always on
Aq2 – Activates P2 (Taco007) at 175, 5 deg differential
Aq3 – Activates P-3 (Taco 007IFC) at 178F, 5 degree differential
P4 (Taco 00R IFC) powered by thermostat
Aq4 powered by thermostat, activates Hx blower motor at 138, 5 degree differential
Tv = EBSE thermic valve - keeps return water hot, isolates boiler loop when it’s not producing heat.

Hope that's useful.
mole

Attachments

• boiler 2 004.jpg
    boiler 2 004.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 253
  • boiler 2 006.jpg
    boiler 2 006.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 237
  • storage loop (2).jpg
    storage loop (2).jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 281