Testing Pellet Logs in my Insert with good results.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Saw an old thread on this from member mass burner and it sparked my interest. I purchased a set of 3 pellet logs and have been doing some testing. I am not a heavy wood burner and really only use the stove when I get home from work in the evening for a few hours and on the weekends. So these have been working good for me when its mild and I don't need a ton of heat.

3 of these logs hold about 10 lbs of pellets. I fill 3 up and place a firestarter under them towards the front of the stove. They take off really quick and it doesn't take long to get good secondary combustion. Usually get around 500-600 for a good hour with the air all the way in. You do need to be careful as with too much air these things will burn extremely hot.

To refill I just shovel new pellets into the basket and the embers on the bottom get then fired back up in no time.

Cost about $1.30 a load.

Attachments

• Pellet2.jpg
    Pellet2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Pellet3.jpg
    Pellet3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 20161208_171906.jpg
    20161208_171906.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Reactions: bcrtops
Well that's cool.

Good idea when you need some dry wood in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting...........neat backup plan............pellet fuel available everywhere around here, even in grocery stores.

I've been playing around with "Bear Bricks", which are cheaper than the HomeFire product, & the North Idaho Energy Logs. They are not near as good a burn, but compared to the pricing, about equal out.

Cool. First time I've seen 3 pellet baskets being used at once. Where did you pick them up?

Good pellets shouldn't have any binders. Lignins in the sawdust itself bind the pellets when they are compressed under high pressure. Same for good compressed logs or bricks.

Interesting...........neat backup plan............pellet fuel available everywhere around here, even in grocery stores.

I've been playing around with "Bear Bricks", which are cheaper than the HomeFire product, & the North Idaho Energy Logs. They are not near as good a burn, but compared to the pricing, about equal out.

My testing showed the same results. The NIELs and HomeFire Prest Logs were tops for heat and long burn times.

Reactions: weatherguy
My testing showed the same results. The NIELs and HomeFire Prest Logs were tops for heat and long burn times.

They main problem is price:
By the pallet (each just under a ton)

HomeFire: $380-400/pallet
NIELS: $280-300/pallet
Bear Bricks: $190-210/pallet

The HomeFire's are prohibitively priced, The NIELS -- have to go clear into PDX to get them & the Bear Bricks are closer to home. I think it just comes down to "you get what you pay for" more or less. The Bear Bricks burn a lot like the OP's Pellet logs & make a great shoulder season type of fire, especially mixed with a split or two. Cheaper than pellets even, & intend to keep a pallet on hand just for backup & shoulder season.

Wish I had a larger truck. You can get HomeFire rejects and broken pieces pretty cheap at the factory.

No do not own one, but have always found it interesting knowing that most pellet baskets burn out sooner than later. From what I have read the Bradley burner seems to have long life.

Reactions: weatherguy
I will never try that because pellets aren't free and wood is. However, any tree service will bring me a truckload of wood chips for free. I wonder, if I dried them out one basket at a time by the stove, how those free wood chips would burn in one of those pellet baskets.

I will never try that because pellets aren't free and wood is. However, any tree service will bring me a truckload of wood chips for free. I wonder, if I dried them out one basket at a time by the stove, how those free wood chips would burn in one of those pellet baskets.
probably very quickly