Thanks for the help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaddius Wenderoth

Feeling the Heat
Jan 21, 2013
I have been lurking this site for some time as I prepared to replace my Qudra-Fire wood stove with a pellet stove.

I can't tell you all how much your comments and discussions have helped me!

I chose a Englander 25-PDVC (well actually a SHP-55-10). I also got a ton of Lignetics (Orange Label Western Conifer) pellets. My house is very open and about 1600sf. I shut the doors to the bedrooms so I am probably heating about 1100-1200sf all open space.

I installed the stove and ran without the OAK for the first couple of days. I was not getting quite the heating I would like and was also getting a buffeting or rumbling sound. Per some research on this site, I installed the OAK. I saw a slight performance increase and less of the buffeting but it was still there.

I then found the threads on the different mode selections on this stove. I changed mine to "C" from "D" and WOW! It is a complete different stove. I live in Idaho and we have had inversion keeping the temps around -4° at night and no higher than 14° during the day. I was running on 9 - 9 before and had mid to high 60°'s temps right at the stove (the thermostat ironicly is a mere 3'-4' from the stove) I now run on 3 - 5 and have low to mid 70°'s all day and night long. This has completely changed my perception of this stove. I am very impressed! I still have some buffeting but much less. I will try the duct tape trick Mike had mentioned on a thread and see if that fixes it.

I bought this stove to replace a fairly new Quadra-Fire wood stove that was in great shape and very effecient. The problem I had is I work 12 hour days and I have my brother-in-law living with me (doesn't work so he is home all day) and he didn't like to keep the fire going throughout the day so the ELECTRIC furnace was running all day. At first I was worried about my decision but with the help of what I have learned on this site I am thrilled. I am burning about 2 bags a day keeping the temp in the house at 72°-75°. This is MUCH better than the $425 - $530/mo power bills I have been getting the past few months. I will be saving about $150 - $250/mo (after factoring in pellet cost @ 1 ton/mo) and paid $960 for the stove and $188 for the ton of pellets. The stove will pay for itself in no time at all.

Thank you all for your awesome help! It is kind of amazing how you guys can help people without even knowing you are, so I decided I would write a post and let you know you are much appreciated and a huge asset to the industry!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.