Thanks To All The Folks At Hearth.com !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlo

Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Northeastern, N.J.
Just wanna thank everyone on the forum for their advice over the last couple of years. I came to the site asking the typical newbie questions and everyone politely addressed my concerns and I really appreciate it. My chimney sweep came for the first time and all I had was some minor dust after 2 years of burning. No doubt, my Hampton H300 stove is responsible for some of that efficiency, but also the tips you folks gave me was as much or probably more responsible for my efficiency.

I've only burned 4 cords of wood so far in the stove (my first cord had a lot of green), so as you can see I'm not a 24/7 guy, but I do plan on burning more and more as time goes by. My stove isn't big enough to heat my house, but it does heat the rooms we live in most (living room and upstairs bedrooms). I've just installed a ceiling fan in my living room which has a 18' ceiling. I'm hoping to circulate that warm air being wasted at the ceiling level to give the house even more warmth.

I also can't believe how easy a chimney sweep is (at least for my set up with a bottom clean out). No drill to spin the brush .... just four 5' flex rods, a brush, and a little muscle (five minutes max). The intimidation factor of a wood burning stove is now completely over for me. I believe I have the basics down pat and now it's time to learn the nuances. I'll be reading the forum forever and hope to help some newbies on their simple questions to give all you much experienced folks a break.

Thanks again .....

Carlo, by your questions I knew you'd make out fine. You've learned much and the future should be bright for you. You are correct with the sweep. It is a quick an easy job for most. I feel for those who do have to hire a sweep though as it just adds to the cost. Always better if you can do it yourself. Heck, my wife could do ours. Hum, maybe I should try that!

I do hope with the ceiling fan that you've read some of the posts on here on how to run that fan. There is a reverse switch on the fan. Blow up in winter; down in summer. It sounds backwards but it works right.

Good luck to you.

Backwoods Savage said:
Carlo, by your questions I knew you'd make out fine. You've learned much and the future should be bright for you. You are correct with the sweep. It is a quick an easy job for most. I feel for those who do have to hire a sweep though as it just adds to the cost. Always better if you can do it yourself. Heck, my wife could do ours. Hum, maybe I should try that!

I do hope with the ceiling fan that you've read some of the posts on here on how to run that fan. There is a reverse switch on the fan. Blow up in winter; down in summer. It sounds backwards but it works right.

Good luck to you.

Yes .... I know about the settings on the fan, and I actually tried it out last nite. Had a fire going and the fan on and the room was much hotter with the fan on. Outside temps were 42 degrees so it wasn't the best of nights for a fire. My wife noticed a major decrease in temp when I shut off the fan because the room got too hot. There is no doubt I'm moving the air down and out of the room into adjacent rooms ..... exactly the purpose. I think when temps are in the 20's the stove room won't get as hot with the fan on. Maybe I'll just run the fan every 30 minutes or so ... I'll figure it out next season. I'll do a ceiling fan search in the Hearth.com archives and read up on peoples experiences.

Carlo, you should be able to run that fan full time. It sounds like you are blowing the air down rather than up though. Also, to move the air to other rooms you can set a small fan on the floor and blow the cool air into the room where the stove is. Just run it on low speed.

Backwoods Savage said:
Carlo, you should be able to run that fan full time. It sounds like you are blowing the air down rather than up though. Also, to move the air to other rooms you can set a small fan on the floor and blow the cool air into the room where the stove is. Just run it on low speed.

You, my friend are very wise. Just so happens when the electrician installed the fan I told him to set it for warm weather. The fan motor sits 14' high and I didn't feel like dragging out the ladder to switch the fan direction for one fire. So yes, you are correct, I was blowing the air down. When burning season comes around I'll be very curious to see how the reverse feature will effect the stove room as well as adjacent rooms.

I've tried the box fan blowing the cool air into the stove room. It was marginal at best in its results. My guess is that the natural draft out of my stove room going upstairs is too great to alter the draft via small box fan. Wife wasn't too happy with the decor of a box fan sitting in my family room either.... lol

carlo said:
Backwoods Savage said:

You, my friend are very wise. Just so happens when the electrician installed the fan I told him to set it for warm weather. The fan motor sits 14' high and I didn't feel like dragging out the ladder to switch the fan direction for one fire. So yes, you are correct, I was blowing the air down. When burning season comes around I'll be very curious to see how the reverse feature will effect the stove room as well as adjacent rooms.

I've tried the box fan blowing the cool air into the stove room. It was marginal at best in its results. My guess is that the natural draft out of my stove room going upstairs is too great to alter the draft via small box fan. Wife wasn't too happy with the decor of a box fan sitting in my family room either.... lol

Well the word is still out on just how wise Backwoods is . . . he still insists on splitting his wood vertically and refuses to acknowledge that splitting wood horizontally can be just as easy on the back . . . but yeah . . . he's a pretty smart fella. ;) :)

Thanks Jake. Ya, I caught that one! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.