1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Thanksgiving score

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jdinspector, Nov 22, 2012.

1. jdinspector

jdinspector Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I was surprised yesterday when I drove past my usual scrounge location. The tree service must have had a busy week. This was 3 miles from my house. I took about a cord of oak and silver maple. There is also some knotty crap that I will pass on.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice score.
    Much competition getting wood from there, 1st come ?
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    much competition? do they put it out there for folks to grab or you know them or just have special permission to grab it?
  4. jdinspector

Loc:
    Northern IL
    This place is kind of hidden. It is the yard for a large tree service. I have asked/confirmed many times that it is ok to cut. All they ask is that I have proper PPE (chaps, eye protection, etc.) and that I clean up any loose sawdust. In fact, I am at the point that I can be selective about taking straight grained rounds. No knotty, crotchy stuff anymore.

It works for me (obviously). And for them, as they do not have to dispose of any wood.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. jdinspector

Loc:
    Northern IL
    RE: competition... Only one friend whom I turned on to this place. I live in a pretty well-to-do area. I can't see most folks cutting and splitting their own wood.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Good that you have a close supply for the wood and good for you for getting it too.