Thanksgiving weekend project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
The Stage is set, the weather looks like crap. The wood shed is as full as it's going to be for this year. I had gutters put on it a few weeks ago and it's good for the winter.
Gutters.jpg

I scrounged 7 pallets and built an overfull drying area. This won't be for this year... don't unwrap till fall next year. Should hold a little over 2 cords.
HickoryRack.jpg

I have a bunch of Shag Bark hickory that seemed to attract fly's? They dig holes (more like drill) like the big fuzzy bees but smaller. All this sawdust is from their work since the rounds were cut last spring.
HickoryBugs.jpg

The big question... will this fit in the rack?
HickoryRounds.jpg

I hope to have an answer by Sunday :coolgrin:

Lock and load. My guess is you are going to have to go higher than 4' to fit on those pallets.

I have a question about those buggers you showed and told about. I have the same problem, and I'm wondering if these critters can spread to other wood that isn't infested. The bugs got into wood that was un-split and not covered, sitting for almost a year. Now that I'm splitting and stacking, will these buggers infest my other wood that is quite dry and ready to go? My plan is to burn all this wood first, but it's been so warm here in west/central NY that I haven't had the chance.

Getting your wood split and drying is the best defense against bugs.

creeker said:
I have a question about those buggers you showed and told about. I have the same problem, and I'm wondering if these critters can spread to other wood that isn't infested. The bugs got into wood that was un-split and not covered, sitting for almost a year. Now that I'm splitting and stacking, will these buggers infest my other wood that is quite dry and ready to go? My plan is to burn all this wood first, but it's been so warm here in west/central NY that I haven't had the chance.
My plan is to stack split and stack outside, it won't go in the shed till next fall. Surprisingly the fly's only seemed attracted to the hickory, I had a bunch of beech, maple and some cherry that they didn't go after.

Looks Great,nice work

You have a nice setup for storage going there. I need to get off my lazy *** and build one. Been collecting lumber for a lean to off the garage over a slab, me's thinking after xmas I"ll get it done so I can have the garage back and put next years wood under it in late Oct.

I thought I was crazy for putting gutters on my woodshed but I see that I am not alone!! LOL.. Looks great to me ;)

I think that you have wood-boring beetles, if so they are quite happy with dry wood.

The shed will hold about 8 or 9 cords. It's built strong, came out nicer than I had hoped. Thanks to my Dad for coming over to help. The bugs in the wood is most definitely flies. I'll try to snap some pics of the bugs the next time I get out there splitting.

I only got about 4 hours of splitting in yesterday, none today :( Hopefully I can make up for that tomorrow and sunday.
HickoryRack_2.jpg

Here's what I have left. I think I'll need more pallets.
HickoryRounds_2.jpg

creeker said:

I have those same things in my shagbark- my best google skills identified them as hickory borers; they showed up when my neighbor brought in a load of sod and they ate into both split and unsplit shagbark rounds but they didn't touch my oak or ash at all. Like you I'm going to burn them up this year.

Seems I have two types of critters in the wood. These guys are evil looking.
HickoryBugs_2.jpg

Another one...
HickoryBugs_4.jpg

They must abandon shallow holes the flies take over.
HickoryBugs_3.jpg

Another couple of hours of work today. I'll definitely need more pallets
HickoryRack_3.jpg

those evil looking ones are the type I have in my hickory(no flies yet)- they didn't touch any other type of wood. I was thinking they might make good bait for walleye. my wife swears she can hear them squeal every time I toss one of those swiss cheese logs in the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.