that ugly pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnham

Oct 19, 2007
central massachusetts
So I have about 12' of that double-wall, all fuel (I think) stainless pipe going through the roof of my house. The house is a small cape, and the stained stainless looks like crap. I'm about to put on a new roof, and was thinking of painting the pipe black, so it would kind of blend in. I only want to do this once, as I can't get at the pipe very easily. Whadda ya think, will paint stick? How about powder coating? Anyone tried this? Ideally I would do it up as a 15' tall version of the leg lamp from A Christmas Story, but I don't have that kind of time.

Can you build a chase around it to match the house? I assume you can paint the stainless directly as long as its very clean. I have seen it done, but i do not know how well it holds up over time...

MountainStoveGuy said:
Can you build a chase around it to match the house?

I could, but the pipe is at the very front of the house, so I think that would look even funkier. It's a cape with a 10 pitch, so my house has a forehead like a drive-in movie theater. I can't move the stove to another area of the house, the lay-out just doesn't work any other way. I'm leaning toward powder coating, I just don't know how well that it holds up to UV rays and all that good stuff, or if it sticks to stainless.

burnham said:
So I have about 12' of that double-wall, all fuel (I think) stainless pipe going through the roof of my house. The house is a small cape, and the stained stainless looks like crap. I'm about to put on a new roof, and was thinking of painting the pipe black, so it would kind of blend in. I only want to do this once, as I can't get at the pipe very easily. Whadda ya think, will paint stick? How about powder coating? Anyone tried this? Ideally I would do it up as a 15' tall version of the leg lamp from A Christmas Story, but I don't have that kind of time.

When I had the house painted 2 years ago, the painters repainted all the roof vents flat black to blend with the roof. The shot the SS chimney as well. I think they wiped the pipe down with something to remove any oils that may have been on the metal and then shot it with high-temp flat black paint. At first I was upset because they had not asked me, but within a couple of minutes I had to tell myself that they did the right thing (because it did look better).

Black paint for stainless steel.

https://hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=458&idproduct=5895

"To most of us Chimney Professionals, shiny, unpainted stainless steel looks great. But not all homeowners feel that way, you might be one. Purchase this special high-heat paint made just for stainless caps to take care of the problem.

Since "any old" spray paint will not adequately adhere to stainless steel, Homesaver developed this paint which bonds to stainless without the need for primer. It withstands heat up to 1200 degrees F.

Homesaver Black Paint For Stainless Steel features a beautiful, flat black finish that can be used to paint such things as stainless steel chimney caps or the exterior of a class-A chimney. "

Status
Not open for further replies.