That was scary!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Cow that is scary...I'll be looking at those pins next time I load.

Found my bottom pin about half way out last week. Has anyone thought of a fix? I thought of brading the bottom of the pin but quickly changed my mind, pounding on a cast door hinge is probably not a good idea. Glue? JB Weld?

Woodford said:
badger1968 said:
Finally, just gotta' say, Kentucky, lay off the elitist BS. I went in to hock to get a quality stove and it works great. I'm sure yours does too.
I'm just trying to understand why they would make a stove where the pins come out easily. Seems like a safety hazzard. I've seen hinge pins fastened on stoves a few different ways where they couldn't come out. One of the simplest pins I've seen was one that was split at the bottom and spread like a cotter pin.

If I had a Buck 28000 I would be more concerned with why the stove was never able to pass UL safety testing and never got a UL listing. :lol:

Folks just coat the hinge pins with graphite and a lot of the pin creeping goes away. If you don't have graphite around just take a lead pencil lead and coat the pins with it the next time the stove is cold. The lead is made of graphite.

All it is is that tight hinges and the weight of the doors cause the pins to work their way up with repeated opening and closing. The graphite also keeps the hinges from wearing out over the years.

BJN644 said:
Another good reason to go with a top loader.

The drivers side pin on my top loader has tried to make a break for it a couple times. It's easy to see when it's working it's way out and easy to tap back in...but it do happen even on TL's.

Same thing happens with house door hinges from time to time. A little squirt bottle of graphite powder costs peanuts and is my favorite lubricant for anything to do with woodstoves or locks. Rick

fossil said:
Same thing happens with house door hinges from time to time. A little squirt bottle of graphite powder costs peanuts and is my favorite lubricant for anything to do with woodstoves or locks. Rick

Are you near zero gravity or do you put your pins in from the bottom?. I put all mine in from the top so they don't fall up.

woodconvert said:
fossil said:

Are you near zero gravity or do you put your pins in from the bottom?. I put all min in from the top so they don't fall up.

It has to do with him living at a higher elevation than you. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
woodconvert said:
fossil said:

Are you near zero gravity or do you put your pins in from the bottom?. I put all min in from the top so they don't fall up.

It has to do with him living at a higher elevation than you. :coolsmirk:

Tarnation....thems is some high elevations. That high up you could prolly duck hunt with a rake.

fossil said:
We're dumb. That's why they won't let us live in Kentucky. Rick

That darn near made me spit copenhagen at my monitor. :lol:

A little tap from time to time with the poker keeps them pins where they belong.

If you are really worried, drill the pin and lock wire it, then you can still take it out later, but it souldn't come out on its own. On my Jotul insert, the pins are part of the door, so it doesn't fall off, and I can just lift them off when I want to clean polish the glass while watching House on Fox.

This is how my Earth Stove BV4000C is built too.

entire door slides down into the hinges.

I ALWAYS have heavy Leather gloves nearby when opening the door, too many things can go wrong during that time the door is open.

Ive also planned in my head, if the glass ever broke, or door wouldnt shut, id get a towel soaking wet, and use that to stop/reduce the airflow..

crazy_dan said:
That is one thing I really like about my summit the pins are welded to the stove and the door slips down on them so the whole door would have to creep.

This has not happened to me, but you can bet I'll be checking this when I get home. Thanks for the heads-up.

Never had it happen- but I'll be checking now!

I also don't use gloves, but may start now that I load EW more often- need a bit mor protection loading the back of the box. This door thing seems to be a good reason to have them on hand (pun intended).

Just a thought here, seeing as someone said there was no hinge pin protruding from underneath the hinge. Maybe you could remove the pins when its cool, drill and tap them for a small machine screw to hold a washer underneath to remedy this problem once and for all. The only other solution I can think of is to drill and tap the hing (Cast you say?) and therefor be able to use a setscrew to hold the pin in. You would think that with the prices of these stoves these days that these sort of things could be done at the factory, but maybe no one has addressed this with the manufacturer? Oh well, what do I know I just bought a Buck Model 21, and am from the south so apparently I'm dumb anyhow! ;-P

Adios Pantalones said:
I also don't use gloves, but may start now that I load EW more often- need a bit mor protection loading the back of the box. This door thing seems to be a good reason to have them on hand (pun intended).

I always have them and use them (..and I still get burnt :sick: ) though that's my sole stove tools. I have a set of utensils for tending fire but I don't like to use them...always afraid i'm going to break the glass. I'd rather set wood in just where I want it...it's easier for me with gloves.

This is not a daily occurence. I've never had a hinge pin find its way completely out of either of my stoves' doors. I've noticed just a bit of creep in the upper pins after a full season of burning. I lubricate these pins with graphite powder as a matter of routine during my summer maintenance. If they've crept up a bit, I smack 'em back down. If I notice it during the season, I do the same. No biggie, unless you don't pay attention to the stove's condition. An interesting lesson learned, and I'm really glad Andy came forward with it, it's the kind of valuable information we can share with one another here. I don't think it's an indication of any sort of dangerous design defect on the part of any of the manufacturers who use the pins to hinge the loading doors. Seems to me this horse is just about dead. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.