Thats a wrap!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
All done for the season. Cleaned stove and chimney yesterday. Have only had one fire in the last week, and weather is forecasted to be warming up. In all, I probably burned 1 1/2 cord this year. Maple, cherry, and oak. We had a few good cold spells. Probably the coldest winter in the last ten years around these parts, and a bit of snow. But I enjoy the warm weather much better, so I’m happy to wrap things up till next year!!

Good for you. I am ready but weather won't cooperate. Still nights here in 30's for the next week. High in upper 40's. Been a long winter.

Reactions: clancey
I expect to burn in someway into May. Likely not the boiler but the insert is guaranteed.

Good for you, I’m ready to be done.

This winter I discovered I can go through almost 3 cords per season. Now I’m trying to figure out where to put all this wood for a 3 year seasoning rotation!

Last two winters I burned 2.5 cords each. I'm only to 1.7 cords now and probably won't hit 2. We have had a lot of unusually warm days and little rain since the first of the year. Fortunately we got a lot of rain in the fall, but we're still lower than normal for the rainfall year.

Woke up to no power. Went out about 3am. We're hoping to have it back on by 3pm. Crazy weather with yoyo temps and very windy. The fire has been burning since 6:30am and is keeping us comfy.

Reactions: EbS-P
Yes, there have been some intense squalls coming through here for the past hour. Temp has dropped to 42 as the front comes through and the lights flickered a few times. I'm keeping a low fire going. Gonna need to reload the woodbox. I thought we might be done, but nope.

Haven't stopped burning yet. Rainy and 45 here today. I'll keep going till we have consistent night temps in the 50s. With the Buck 81 we have gone through 3.5 cords so far. Might finish at 4. Much better than the 6-7 cords our old Hitzer 983 ate. Now I'm able to give my excess wood to my 75 year old dad who loves his stove but not his chainsaw😁

About 3 cords of hardwood through the insert this season. I have a quick fire every couple days or so so the house isn’t too chilly. Looking forward to warmer weather so I can be done for the year and clean things out.

Our power is back on again, but that was one wild, spring storm. One small tree down in the back, looks like more firewood for next year!

Reactions: begreen
I'm glad your power got back on. Our lights flickered a few more times but stayed on thank goodness. I'm seeing nighttime temps in the 30s this week. We'll still be burning. If this cold weather blows across the country then folks back east will be burning too.