The beauty of a Fireplace System in an Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKPmax

Hearth Supporter
We need a wood burning insert. I do not like the look of the surrounds.
After a long time looking at different inserts, I've concluded that inserts can't come close to matching the beauty of a fireplace-System, i.e. flush and architectural with beautiful iron arches...
What I like doesn't seem to exist, a product not made yet.
Unless one of you wizards of wood has an idea for me?
(I have seen the Lopi)

Have you looked at the VC Montpelier's?

5855__lg.jpg

There is another company that makes something you may be interested. I sold one once about 20 years ago. Its made by Fuego. Here is a link to the info. I didnt look to closely at the specs but from what I recall they are a hybrid of sorts. Much improved efficiency over an open fireplace with keeping the fireplace look somewhat intact. Still not as efficient as a new EPA Certified insert, but it may solve your problem.

http://www.fuegoflame.com/PDF/Fuego insert brochure.pdf

that link didnt show up right, try this

http://www.fuegoflame.com/

Just click on the "inserts" button. You should get there

What do you have now? A masonary fireplace?

As long as the owners manual allows for the clearances - I would think you should be able to do so. I have a zero clearance and several models allow for you to mortar and stone them in such a way.

You're rebuilding the firebox and smoke chamber, and installing an insert??

I see no problem with finishing the fireplace as in the photos above as long as the insert can be pulled for service, or there is at least a way to get in there for inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.