the beauty of the flames, cat and non-cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
I've never owned a wood stove, either cat or non-cat. Can someone help me understand how they compare as far as the view goes? Is a non-cat fire still nice to watch? Thanks

Basically the non cat has more fireworks in the box because most of the secondary combustion takes place there. Cat stoves secondaries occur in another chamber or above a baffle so they have a slow lazy flame or can be burned with a smoulder or no flame at all. There are plenty of videos on youtube if you want to check the differences.

Todd said:
Basically the non cat has more fireworks in the box because most of the secondary combustion takes place there. Cat stoves secondaries occur in another chamber or above a baffle so they have a slow lazy flame or can be burned with a smoulder or no flame at all. There are plenty of videos on youtube if you want to check the differences.

Thanks for the tip about the You tube videos, they were very helpful.

I agree on the cat stoves. If we want flame there is no problem. If we just want a slow burn rather or not there is flame, no problem.

I'll add that many times we dial the stove down and there is no flame but yet, within maybe a half hour or an hour, suddenly that beautiful rolling flame at the top of the stove starts and what a show that is!

If that's is Todd's Keystone video on YouTube that I am thinking of, that's one of the nicest burns I've seen. Love those slow, rolling secondaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.