The biggest crow just attacked my chimney!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
"Well the Raven is a wicked bird, its wings are black as sin.
And it floats outside my prison winda mocking those within.
And it sings to me real low, its hell to where you go.
For you did murder Kate McCannon. "

Reactions: Ashful
In WA we are allowed to hunt crows. There's a season. But ravens are off limits. So the game laws make a point of teaching the subtle differences. The tail is round vs. square, the call is more deep cluck vs. caw and of course physical size. I'm sure a lot of ravens have been shot on accident. They don't hang out at mcdonalds eating french fries but you see them way up in the mountains away from people. Much more graceful animal I think.
Ravens tend to stay away from people. Crows are usually more bold. We have a few resident ravens in our woods and they are very busy right now, I assume building nests.

The birds are getting nuttier too. We've had 3 calls this spring, woodpeckers pecking on gas insert caps. Had to paint one of them totally black to get the little bugger to go away. The other 2 just the top of the cap. Customers are almost embarrassed to call in for them. One customer recorded the noise, holy moley this little guy was noisy. It was driving their dog nuts too. Everyone getting stir crazy.....
I assume the birds have been emboldened by less human activity outdoors.

Sapsuckers love to rat-a-tat-tat on our neighbors metal field gate. It doesn't bother me. I feel lucky to be surrounded by a diverse lot of birds.

Reactions: SpaceBus