1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The Bluebirds are Back!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by firebroad, Apr 6, 2012.

1. skyline

skyline Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Oregon
    I should have looked at this before. I checked into Oregon and it's not illegal but you do need a permit. Several of our species or invasive from the East....., Thanks for nothing!!
    But more than that, it is highly NOT recommended. To quote:

Writing in 1997, the Humane Society of the United States called relocation "one of the least understood and most problematic wildlife 'control' practices we know of. Not only might the trapping and movement of the animal cause it harm or even bring it death, but the activity might adversely affect other wild animals as well."

More information to those interested (no matter what state you live in) here:
    http://audubonportland.org/backyardwildlife/brochures/relocation

They make some good points.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I don't relocate the squirrels . . . I just treat them to a ride to another town . . . I cannot help it if they opt to not get back in the cage when I stop to let them out for a bathroom and snack break. ;)

Honestly . . . moving a few squirrels from one area to another is probably far less of a problem for them and for me. The alternative is death . . . which I would think most of them would not opt for given the choice.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    squirrels = hawk snacks