The Cape Cod is cracked! Now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
Since I found the crack in the back of the Cape Cod Travis Ind. offered to replace it or give me a credit. I opted to not have it replaced, I took the credit instead. I'm not too sure of the durability of the Cod. The baffle was the first thing to warp and then the andiron bracket, that was replaced. Now with the crack I'm a little worried that Lopi hasn't quit got this thing figured out yet. They honored it under warranty but I can't keep repairing or replacing this thing. So, something else will go in its place! I'm considering another BK, or a Jotul Firelight.

I would suggest anyone that has a Cape Cod take a close look at all the castings, especially where the panels bolt together.

Manchester for a similar style and size?

Reactions: webby3650
I say you need a Woodstock, you already have a BK.

Reactions: raybonz
I do believe Kurt Rumens and Alan Atemboski the creators of the Cape Cod will be at the wood stove challenge tomorrow, they have entered one in the competition.
I already know that they will not admit that there is any problems at all. There will have to be a number of issues that get reported before they will make any revisions.Our Rep acted like I was the only Cod owner out there that has had a warped baffle. But, I happen to know that it is an issue with most of them. My replacement baffle and feddle had no changes to them. I don't really consider these parts "issues", just bugs that need to be worked out.
The first step to fixing the problem is admitting that you have one! ;lol

I don't really consider these parts "issues", just bugs that need to be worked out.
The first step to fixing the problem is admitting that you have one! ;lol

That's why we call them issues and not stupid blunders that should have been identified during engineering and testing.

So you are getting a credit applicable to any brand stove your store sells or a credit for another travis product? That would be a refund if you were allowed to buy anything. Is it typical for a manufacturer to give you a refund for a used stove?

That's why we call them issues and not stupid blunders that should have been identified during engineering and testing.

So you are getting a credit applicable to any brand stove your store sells or a credit for another travis product? That would be a refund if you were allowed to buy anything. Is it typical for a manufacturer to give you a refund for a used stove?
Ok, it's a refund then. I can buy anything.
I don't know how common it is to give a refund, we dont have cracked stoves very often. This stove has only been used for about 3 months, I'm sure that has something to do with it.
I'm glad that they are making it right!

Glad I sold mine!
I never found any cracks but then again never really looked for one.
My baffle also warped along with the andiron bracket and also needed a new cat
so a travis rep came to my home with my dealer to inspect my stove and also checked
the wood I was burning for moisture content and how I operated the stove.
they determined I was not at fault for the damages and replaced and installed all new parts
at no cost and took my old parts to analyse.
new baffle and andiron warped just as quickly so I was leery to keep this stove as a long term
heater and replaced it with the Firelight which is a great,simple and so far reliable stove.
That said I would like to thank you Webby for your write-up on the Ashford as it helped
in my decision to add it as a second stove, I ordered one on tuesday.

Last edited:
He seems to be leaning toward a cat stove....
I'm on the fence. Part of me wants a pretty, quick hot fire for the area. Part of me wants a long burn. I'm so impressed with the Ashford I might just get another BK. ? This would be more practical.

I'm on the fence. Part of me wants a pretty, quick hot fire for the area. Part of me wants a long burn. I'm so impressed with the Ashford I might just get another BK. ? This would be more practical.
Could you hold off and buy the new Woodstock steel stove? It would be great to hear a comparison from all the stoves you have owned.

Reactions: raybonz

Glad Lopi stepped up and took care of you.............They did the right thing. I just hope the crack is not something more widespread of a problem for them. They are a good company.

For stoves , I would get another Ashford and get it in brown enamel and put it in the room that is more formal and the black one in the other spot...............Or just get another King. You have the flue size for it.

Who did the castings for Lopi?

Jotul had a problem with castings for a while. The F600/Firelight series were known for cracks in the side and top castings. VC also had/has problems with the occasional crack casting.

Could you hold off and buy the new Woodstock steel stove? It would be great to hear a comparison from all the stoves you have owned.
No, it'll have to be a stove from a company that our store carries and since Woodstock doesn't support the dealer network, its out of the question. I would like to try one out though!
Your other area is smaller...right? Maybe a used fireview? Or keystone? Up for a drive? http://columbus.craigslist.org/for/4182142294.html
I'm not interested in used. I also MUST have a front door. Thanks though.
Glad Lopi stepped up and took care of you.............They did the right thing. I just hope the crack is not something more widespread of a problem for them. They are a good company.

For stoves , I would get another Ashford and get it in brown enamel and put it in the room that is more formal and the black one in the other spot...............Or just get another King. You have the flue size for it.
I would love to have an enamel Ashford, but I can't wait for it. They are still about 2 months out. I'm really leaning toward a majolica brown Oslo. We had one in the past and loved it!

No, it'll have to be a stove from a company that our store carries and since Woodstock doesn't support the dealer network, its out of the question. I would like to try one out though!

I'm not interested in used. I also MUST have a front door. Thanks though.

I would love to have an enamel Ashford, but I can't wait for it. They are still about 2 months out. I'm really leaning toward a majolica brown Oslo. We had one in the past and loved it!

Are you serious about the Ashford in brown enamel being two months out? That's not what I heard.......When did you hear that?

Are you serious about the Ashford in brown enamel being two months out? That's not what I heard.......When did you hear that?
From the man! Orders have just came in so quick, they have been in full production trying to get caught up.
So, unless you have ordered one already it could be awhile.

From the man! Orders have just came in so quick, they have been in full production trying to get caught up.
So, unless you have ordered one already it could be awhile.

I ordered mine A couple months ago .

Wow. Do you have some pics you can post? I'm a little disappointed as this thing was highly recommended by you and others on this forum and I just spent $6K on the thing. Seems like you might get some consideration from these companies to hype stoves then switch to something else. Hope I'm wrong, but can't help but wonder why someone would switch stoves every year. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If I'm right, I'm still not mad as I made my own decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.