The cheese they try to put in stove now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I've not had the chance to read every single post on this so excuse me if I cover previous ground. From a MFG point of view you must differentiate between 'fiber board' and Ceramic cast. The term cheesy has been used quite a bit so i'm trying to figure out what is going on.

As a MFG we use all sorts of material for baffles: pumice bricks, refractory bricks, vermiculite, Stainless steel, 'C-Cast' Ceramic baffles. But not fiber board. I dont know off hand what is the composition of fiber board. They come in various grades and thickness. I see them used in lower price point stoves.

Since we've used all material for our baffles we can speak with experience what is 'better'. From a user point of view 'better' is in the eye of the beholder. Each have their unique properties, pro's and cons. Steel baffles are durable, but over time will crack, bend & warp especially if they are welded into place. Pumice bricks of course have to be replaced on a regular basis, easy to access but is inexpensive and typically used on lower price point stoves. etc...

When you talk about a cheesy baffle, I assume you are talking about Vermiculite or fiber board.

We use 'C-Cast' in some of our premium brands and furnaces since it outperforms many of these in Strength, insulation, abrasion resistance, resistance to shrinking, weight loss & environmental exposure. It will handle close to 3,000 F. We use these not because it is less expensive, as a matter of fact it is much more expensive than all of the above but because it has a better overall performance. As far as breakage, well yes you can break them especially if a sweep do not remove them first and hit them with their brushes. From a user point of view, I cant understand how you would break one of those since the tubes are in the way, so logs would hit those first. Unless you are very over zealous with a poker it's not an issue. However, there is a 7 year warranty.

FyreBug said:
As a MFG we use all sorts of material for baffles: pumice bricks, refractory bricks, vermiculite, Stainless steel, 'C-Cast' Ceramic baffles. But not fiber board.

It may simply be a difference in terminology, but straight from the parts list for an Isle Royale:
Part 9.5 - Fiberboard, Baffle
And I would be very hesitant to call an Isle Royale a "lower price point" stove.
My guess is that proper terminology may be getting in the way of our discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.