the cure for wood theft.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pict

Sep 1, 2007
oklahoma
Back in Scotland, my friend had someone stealing wood from his woodpile. One night he had a brainwave-he drilled a hole in a piece of wood, pushed in a couple of railway detonators, plugged the hole, and put it back on top of the pile.

He never had another piece stolen........................

Was that because he was thrown in jail? Unfortunately that is what would happen here... :(

That sounds like the african "radio theft deterrent". Remove the radio. Behind the radio, or next to it, install an empty can of just the right size to accept a live grenade with the pin pulled. Now re-install the radio with a wire coupling the back of the radio to the armed grenade. Now "park" the vehicle in a "safe" spot prone to massive car burglaries and lock it up. I don't think I need to go on at this point... Needless to say, stealing that radio is a one way ticket. In the "truth and reconcilliation committee" hearings after apartheit, many such examples emerged. Before the fall of Rhodesia, because of the number of vehicle ambushes, they fitted their armored vehicles with claymores mounted on the end of 6 foot poles, which they would detonate sequentially if ambushed. If you have ever seen the swath of destruction left by one of those things, it is scary indeed. Then much later in South Africa (in the late 90's) came the vigilate "dragon" cars, fitted with hidden flame throwers on all sides which were driven around in locations prone to car hijacking to "fry" the bad guys.

The problem is that if the thief were to boast where he got his "haul" to his buddies, prior to loading the split with the detonator in it, you're in for trouble with the law. Detonators generally don't grow in trees and judges won't find the prank amusing, even if they were stealing your wood.

Jezz all they steal here in Detroit, Is {Live} Copper Edison lines. They pick up the body's in the morning This is not a joke! I live 40 miles north guess they coming are my way AC units are disappearing It's the copper inside!!

Mr Wood

Are you in the Flint/Saginaw area ?

They are stealing catalytic converters off of cars around here? And don't mess with the rail road denators, just shove a few cartridges into the log and keep your mouth shut, even when the police come for you. Everybody talks themselves into jail.

Well said Karl,I have no sympathy for thieves,they should reap whatever they sow.

pict said:
Back in Scotland, my friend had someone stealing wood from his woodpile. One night he had a brainwave-he drilled a hole in a piece of wood, pushed in a couple of railway detonators, plugged the hole, and put it back on top of the pile.

He never had another piece stolen........................

Yeah, railway detonators being commonplace here, I think they saw them in Section 8 at the local Home Depot... :-S

Somehow, I have a hard time justifying that the value of a few of my splits is up there on the level of some poor guy's kid's face, or hand.

-- Mike

I'd prefer the dogs with bees in their mouths.

My self,, the 10 gage double barbell parker patrolling the property seems like a good deterant

And the sound of the pump action 16 gage will definitely get one's attention..

The occasional target practicing also sends a message loud and clear. Make no mistake that 10 gage shot gun a can be heard quite a distance

If one could get their hands on a skeleton I bet that would do the trick nicely. Imagine walking up to a woodpile and seeing a skeleton!

I agree with Elk though I favor a pump shotgun, the sound of a pump action cycling a sound is universal for GTFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.