The days work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Today I bought a 8 dollar kid sled to test out the sled idea. Usually I use a dolly and it works well however snow makes it a bi!@# to use some times. The sled works great so now its time to upgrade to a bigger one with a few mods. Here are the days work pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 372
Great idea.

My parents still have that 50+ yr old 6 ft Ash toboggan us 5 kids grew up on.I used it a couple times last winter to haul some rounds a hundred feet or so from where old snag was dropped to the splitting area.At the time 14" + on the ground,it just floated across that snow.So much easier than the wheelbarrow or dolly.And the old JD 110,while built like a tank,its not worth a crap in deep snow I found out years ago lol.

That's how I get it out of remote areas of the woods over to the main trails. I built a bigger sleigh for behind my snowmobile and thought about building an old fashioned type of sleigh (small one) with runners that I could use for firewood AND also for pulling the maple sap barrel around in the woods during maple sugar season. Yet another project I have to do when I get time.......

Pete1983 said:
Today I bought a 8 dollar kid sled to test out the sled idea. Usually I use a dolly and it works well however snow makes it a bi!@# to use some times. The sled works great so now its time to upgrade to a bigger one with a few mods. Here are the days work pics!

Nice work Pete1983, glad the sled idea worked out, what type of wood is it?

zap

zapny said:
Pete1983 said:

Nice work Pete1983, glad the sled idea worked out, what type of wood is it?

zap

It was an ash that had fallen a couple of years ago it cut like butter!

Thanks zap
Pete

Thistle There must be a load of good memories included every time you pull that toboggan! i can't believe how well a sled moves to be honest I had a lot of wood on that kids sled and man it just moves like it was empty.

Scotty how much maple syrup do you produce? That sounds like a good use of a sled and a lot of fun!

Thanks
Pete

Looks like some good solid ash Pete. Did you happen to see the sled (dray I believe) that Dennis made?

Pete1983 said:
Thistle There must be a load of good memories included every time you pull that toboggan! i can't believe how well a sled moves to be honest I had a lot of wood on that kids sled and man it just moves like it was empty.

Scotty how much maple syrup do you produce? That sounds like a good use of a sled and a lot of fun!

Thanks
Pete

Pete we ended up with 13 gallons of syrup last year, which equates to around around 600 gallons of sap we boiled. We tapped around 100 trees last year, hoping to double that this year as I built a big cooker and we actually were running out pf sap to cook! I'll post pics later today of my sleigh at work, hauling some white oak off of the hill later on..

wishlist said:
Looks like some good solid ash Pete. Did you happen to see the sled (dray I believe) that Dennis made?

I did acctually it is very simple looking yet effective I am thinking about something similar with load shocks for bumps over logs and dead timber. My problem is I have to haul by hand so I cut it to 16 then haul it out.

Thanks Wishlist
Pete

Scotty Overkill said:
Pete1983 said:

Thanks
Pete

Pete we ended up with 13 gallons of syrup last year, which equates to around around 600 gallons of sap we boiled. We tapped around 100 trees last year, hoping to double that this year as I built a big cooker and we actually were running out pf sap to cook! I'll post pics later today of my sleigh at work, hauling some white oak off of the hill later on..

I would love to see those pics scotty !

Pete

Pete, even an old car hood will work amazingly well in snow. Also, if you are interested, sometime this spring you could come over and we'll head to the sugar bush.

Backwoods Savage said:
Pete, even an old car hood will work amazingly well in snow. Also, if you are interested, sometime this spring you could come over and we'll head to the sugar bush.

O man Dennis its been years since I went there! You are talking about snows sugar bush right? That is a good place to get stuffed at and then try to walk and drive while sleeping from the carbs :lol: I all packed and ready to go!

Pete

Nope. Don't know where that sugar bush is. This one is near Chapin.

Okay, now I know. Didn't remember the name as it has been many, many moons since I was there. I've seen some excellent setups, especially in the UP and am lucky to have visited so many. I recall one near Charlevoix where they had all the trees tapped and the sap went into an underground tank. From there it was pumped to the boiler. The boiler was also run with LP rather than wood. I forget how many trees he had but well over 1,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.