The Englander 30 secondary inlet mod thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pen said:
Off the top of my head, I can't remember. I haven't run that thing like that since sometime in March and typically I don't pay to much attention after the first 15 minutes once I have the air set to "cruise."

pen

Must have been a "Manhattan Monday" then....... :coolgrin: :lol:

Yeah, with my setup it will go up to 700 to 750 and then level out around six hundred for a while and then really hang in between four and five for a while. Since I am asleep then all I know is ten or eleven hours after loading it is 250 to 300 and I hit it with a few splits for daytime.

Edit: That is loaded per recommendation for just to the top of the firebrick or a tad higher. Not stuffed.

Thanks for the quick responses Pen and BB. Good info.
Pen, when it's 10 or below for days on end, believe me, I NEED the btu's and need them to last as long as possible without a reload (don't we all). I also need more insulation in the attic. :-S
When mine gets here, I'll run it w/o mods.
BB, sounds almost exactly like the Ashley, except for the 10-11 hour part. Mine is more like 5-6. I can't wait to be able to sleep all night w/o a reload.
Gamma, please do the pic thing too, when yours gets put in. I know you do pics. :coolsmile:

PapaDave said:
When mine gets here, I'll run it w/o mods.
Yeah, I won't mess with mine either. I need to get to know how it burns with different woods and different loading methods, etc etc. THEN, if I feel the need to mess with it, I will. Took me a year to be able to burn the last stove in a way that realized it's potential, hoping that some of that was just general stove learning that can help with the learning curve on this new stove.

PapaDave said:
Gamma, please do the pic thing too, when yours gets put in. I know you do pics. :coolsmile:

I will be having a break-in partay.....like I did with the 13.....
and pics you request....and you shall receive.....
My husband thinks I am the best wife in the world today..... :coolgrin:
He is all excited that I did not object to the 30....
OK...I do have my moments....but I am not that bad..... >:-(
the man does not want for anything....clean clothing, freakin good food on the table every nite, spic and span clean home...etc....etc....etc...etc...etc...etc.... :lol:

I ain't perfect by no means...trust me....I am just on the "Good List" today...for now..
Does the positve cancelo the negative?

PapaDave said:
Thanks for the quick responses Pen and BB. Good info.
Pen, when it's 10 or below for days on end, believe me, I NEED the btu's and need them to last as long as possible without a reload (don't we all). I also need more insulation in the attic. :-S

You will be fine. The first time it got down to zero here after I replaced my old insert with the 30 I was nuts and stayed up half the night. With the old stove I would have just loaded it, waited an hour for it to settle and went to bed.

The next time it got down to five and below I just loaded the 30 at nine o'clock, let it settle for an hour and went the heck to bed. Got up to a comfortable house nine hours later. And anything below 68 ain't comfortable to me.

But it will take you a season to get in sync with the stove. Just like it did with the Ashley.

Oh, it took more than a year for the Ashley. I started with wet wood and a broken weld seam and bad gaskets and a flue that was half plugged, and, and.........all that jazz.
I can deal with the house down to the low 60's (don't like it much in the winter), but when I wake to the house at 56-58, I get grumpy. Nobody likes me when I'm grumpy (can't imagine why).

"Does the positve cancelo the negative? "
Ever heard of net zero? I swear that's my wife's secret name for me.
Wait, maybe it's grump bucket. I'll ask her.
On second thought........ :cheese:

Im not really looking to Mod the stove. But I am looking forward to all the new users and all of the info and stories to be shared. I can see many Ice Cold Adult Beverages in my near future. I have in no way burned this thing for any time, but what I have seen in the dozen or so fires. Is it likes between 650-800 on a reload with Ash, Silver maple, or Pine. I can load it with 4 med size splits at 9 and when I leave for work at 5-5:30. The flames are not kicking hard, but its a stove full of coals (almost whole logs still, just not broken down yet) Thinking about having a fire tonight. Gettin down to 48. Dont need one. But if I close the basement door, I dont cook us out of the house. Just gives me more practice. If it were upstairs, I wouldnt have even fired it yet. Glad its at, where its at.

Congrats to the MANY 30 owners out there. We are a plenty.

I am flashing back to 2006 when I ordered the 30-NC and everybody saying "What is that?".

BrotherBart said:
I am flashing back to 2006 when I ordered the 30-NC and everybody saying "What is that?".

It's a big black box with burning wood in it, but that isn't important right now.

Leslie-Nielsen-Airplane.3.jpg

pen

I'm modifying my shed to hold the 30. The original is the little gray when on the right.

Attachments

• shop928.jpg
    shop928.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 213
I'm 99% sure it was a member named 'precaud' who was playing with modifications to his secondary inlets - mainly to increase the length of the coaling stage - in other words, he modified his stove so that he could close the secondary inlets once the wood had completely outgassed and entered the coaling phase. You can search for his thread. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
I'm 99% sure it was a member named 'precaud' who was playing with modifications to his secondary inlets - mainly to increase the length of the coaling stage - in other words, he modified his stove so that he could close the secondary inlets once the wood had completely outgassed and entered the coaling phase. You can search for his thread. Cheers!

Yeah. He did it on his Quadra-Fire stove.

I had called Englander about that intake, mostly in reference to making an adapter to feed it from the OAK rather than room air did not get a positive answer more like well you can do that, won't hurt anything. I have the blower mounted back there and I think when it is at the real low coaling stage the blower tends to pull some from that intake ( mine has the pedestal) , as the blower pulls from the bottom and that intake is just a bit below and forward of it. Anyway last winter I got a couple blips from the CO monitor which is across the room from the stove, just a chirp a couple times ( blower was at max speed), which is what prompted the call. Was not even sure it was the monitor the first couple times. Thought it was a bad battery in one of the smoke units.

I think mine back in the fireplace with the legs went the other way. I could see the burn kick up with the blower on high. I think it was pulling air under the stove that some of went into the secondary intake under a little pressure before it got to the blower. The blower is dead now and I ain't pulling the stove out to replace it so I don't see that anymore.

Nope, not modifying mine. Heck, its gonna take me this burn season to figure out how to get my act together with it, as it is. I am just glad there is going to be a wealth of others going down this path as well. The lads @ englander must be happily grinning with all of the 30's out here in hearthland. can't wait to get some decent weather to git er going.............................

rottiman said:
Nope, not modifying mine. Heck, its gonna take me this burn season to figure out how to get my act together with it, as it is. I am just glad there is going to be a wealth of others going down this path as well. The lads @ englander must be happily grinning with all of the 30's out here in hearthland. can't wait to get some decent weather to git er going.............................

And I keep watching the mailbox for that commission check and it never shows up. Hell, they don't even pay me for the shirts. :lol:

Maybe we should pay you... I'll start...

Here's your cash:

|______________|

Danno77 said:

Here's your cash:

|______________|

Send that to Paypal. Brotherbart at verizon dot net. :coolsmirk: And don't waste time submitting the email address to all of those mass spamming sites. They all have it already.

BrotherBart said:
Danno77 said:

Here's your cash:

|______________|

Send that to Paypal. Brotherbart at verizon dot net. :coolsmirk:
I'll do better than that. I just printed 20 of those, I'll mail them to you. What did you say your cell block # was, again?

Danno77 said:
Send that to Paypal. Brotherbart at verizon dot net. :coolsmirk:
I'll do better than that. I just printed 20 of those, I'll mail them to you. What did you say your cell block # was, again?[/quote]

Check's in the mail right? Block number is 11W. Rappahannock Regional Jail. I actually know the superintendent there. He will get them to me.

Danno77 said:
What did you say your cell block # was, again?

My first crack up of the day. Thanks Danno. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.