The fire started ITSELF this morning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
We go to bed around here at 8 PM, so the last load up of the stove is typically 7 PM. Having the fire loaded at that time, and leaving the furnace set on automatic, should it be needed in the early morning, off to bed I went.
My "typical" rising time is 3:45 AM, and if the dogs sense that I'm gonna be late, they make sure to come by and wake me, much to my appreciation of course!
This morning was no different. Since it is "winter" and the wood stove comes into the morning "chore" routine these days, I went down, stoked the ash bed, (of course I noted a few lit sparkles in the process), built up my typical fire start, closed the door and decided to light the match after I had my shower.
I ate breakfast, went outside for my morning cup of coffee and a cigarette, and when I came back in, lo and behold, the fire was already going!! "Of course," I said to myself, "the sparks caught on the newspaper," and indeed they had.
This is typical, I'm sure.........but it WAS a bit of a surprise, none the less.

-Soupy1957

Did you mean 8PM? I joke with my folks that they are in bed after Wheel of Fortune is done... though they are normally in bed by 9-10PM. My Dad gets up around 0430 to get ready for work

I used to work for a farmer that would wake up around 5 AM to do milking and other chores and go back to bed around 8AM, then wake up in the afternoon for the 2nd milking and to head out for work (worked swing shift, 3-11PM)

I load my stove 2x a day, usually around 8-9AM when I get home from work and 8-9PM before I head out for work. Never need anything to start a new fire, just spread the coals around, throw in more wood and it lights right away. For a while I was loading just 1 time a day and it was almost to the point that I had to restart the fire so I stopped doing that.

NATE379: Yep, sorry............fixed it.

-Soupy1957

Hey, I started a similar thread three years ago:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11439/

Of course, nobody responded to that one. :)

I think it would really be awesome if you could have a "setback" stove, so it would come on by itself some time before you got up in the morning. Wound save some wood maybe.

A timer.........a Pilot light..........it's do-able I suppose........

-Soupy1957

velvetfoot said:
Hey, I started a similar thread three years ago:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11439/

Of course, nobody responded to that one. :)

I think it would really be awesome if you could have a "setback" stove, so it would come on by itself some time before you got up in the morning. Wound save some wood maybe.

Hehheh . . . I fixed that . . . didn't want you to feel left out or feel unloved. I responded to your post . . . I was just a little late in responding. ;) :)

Edited . . . double post. Website or internet is very sluggish today.

Happened again this morning (I was watching for it this time), ............kinda like the way it sorta lights itself!!

-Soupy1957

Soupy, when I wake up, I open the stove, stir the ashes well, and leave the air on full for a couple few minutes. Then I lay on either some super dry oak branches or a few splits of pine. Thats it! fire starts itself every morning, no news paper, kindling or effort. Your mileage may vary.

Dune said:
Soupy, when I wake up, I open the stove, stir the ashes well, and leave the air on full for a couple few minutes. Then I lay on either some super dry oak branches or a few splits of pine. Thats it! fire starts itself every morning, no news paper, kindling or effort. Your mileage may vary.

Basically do the same thing. I have been waking up with enough coals just to put splits on now.

I'll try that, tomorrow morning..........just put a few small pieces on the coals after I stoke them.........will probably work!

-Soupy1957

Soupy, Just corious why are you up at 3:45? i only ask cause i wake up at that time every Thursday Mornings for work. Only Thursdays though.

That's my "get up" time EVERY day (well, maybe not Saturday and Sunday........lol..........on THOSE days I'm up around 5:00).

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.