Stopped at the local Cracker Barrel to have dinner Saturday night. Got out of the car and smelt the familiar wood smoke in the air. Was walking up to the door and said I will never get a table near the fireplace tonight, the parking lot was packed. Wife and I went in and got a table front and center, and boy if felt good to sit right by the fire and eat, just like home. As we sat there I noticed they were burning logs minimum 30" long. Looked closer and noticed wet spots on the ends but there was decent flames. Soon the flames died down the air got a little smokey. The manager came over, poked it a little and threw 4 nice logs on. Combination of splits and punky 6" dia dead fall. Looked like the old familiar oak to me. Flames picked up right away and it burnt nice until we left. As I studied the hearth I noticed a black iron pipe coming through the side of the hearth to what looked like a gas burner under the grate. Also saw the gas valve above the mantle. I am guessing they use propane or natural gas to light up when needed. One small kid walking past with his mom stopped to look at the fire. The kid insisted on climbing up into the hearth to get a closer look and his mother pulled him down and told him to stop 3 times. Dad came along and shuffled them past it and out to the register to pay. There are no warning signs or even a screen to prevent kids from getting in or sparks from getting out. (not that I like warning signs, people should use common sense). I'm thinking one bad accident and no more open fires in the restaurants. Mods, move this to the appropriate place if needed, not sure if it went here or the nook.