The first stove lighting of the year..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Finally got our first fire of the year going too
6277CDE8-B6E9-4040-B48E-6891F580B3A6.jpeg

That picture is perfect!

cool.. im assuming your burning alot of oak
I would say this year is going to be about 70% oak and the rest is a mixup of cherry, and some walnut and catalpa i got from a buddys house.

I would say this year is going to be about 70% oak and the rest is a mixup of cherry, and some walnut and catalpa i got from a buddys house.

oak is the way to go inthe dead of winter.. burn the cherry and lower BTU stuff now in more of a shoulder season.. the oak will do well on the overnight burns.. how much wood u sitting on

My first stove lighting this afternoon. 46 F and going down to 36 F overnight.

I am burning some 4 year old oak; my stove does well with long and slow (which is good as it's not so cold yet), and oak gets me looong. Then in midwinter, when I am burning harder, I'm burning oak overnight until how long it lasts, then a mix of softer woods during the day.

My first stove lighting this afternoon. 46 F and going down to 36 F overnight.

I am burning some 4 year old oak; my stove does well with long and slow (which is good as it's not so cold yet), and oak gets me looong. Then in midwinter, when I am burning harder, I'm burning oak overnight until how long it lasts, then a mix of softer woods during the day.
Hi, I'm new here, also from LI. I've been burning on and off for about a month now, but I haven't turned the oil heat this season yet. Looking forward to my first continuous likely week long burn with the weather coming up.

I'll be lighting up for the first time this afternoon, It'll probably run all week looking at the forecast. I have a hybrid heating system that's been cheap to run to take the chill out but we're moving into oil time and I don't want to burn any.

Hi, I'm new here, also from LI. I've been burning on and off for about a month now, but I haven't turned the oil heat this season yet. Looking forward to my first continuous likely week long burn with the weather coming up.
It's good to exercise the oil system occasionally and to use it to avoid pipe freezing in very cold weather.

Reactions: stoveliker

so wheres the picture.. it didnt happen if you dont provide a picture.. lol

welcome aboard..

• Haha
Reactions: ispinwool
It's good to exercise the oil system occasionally and to use it to avoid pipe freezing in very cold weather.
Oh it will be on at some point as I don't think the stove will be able to carry us through the entire season, but sure we'll save some money supplementing with it. The oil system is ready to go though, as we got all new radiators and valves put in last month so it's been properly exercised for the season. A whole bunch of new insulation work and a new front door helped out big time with the house holding heat as well.

oak is the way to go inthe dead of winter.. burn the cherry and lower BTU stuff now in more of a shoulder season.. the oak will do well on the overnight burns.. how much wood u sitting on
Yea im burning up the walnut and catalpa now. Not really a fan of walnut it ashes like crazy and doesn’t coal well at all. The catalpa burns hot and fast like any softwood and I find it really easy to burn. The oak is definitely getting saved until it’s actually cold out.

I wanna say im sitting on 7-8 cords, 3 of which are for this year. Working on getting some more processed up. Have a lot of oak trunks piled up at my buddys house from land we cleared on his property that I have to go through

I'm still holding out for the temps to drop a bit later to start a fire up but I'll post one up when I get it going tonight. Thank you for having me.

.I see your picture.. good for you.. is that a lopi... being on the island...how are u getting wood

.I see your picture.. good for you.. is that a lopi... being on the island...how are u getting wood

It's a Drolet 1800i. I get two cords delivered in early March and let it season until I'm ready to burn. Gets down to 20% right in time, but it's full sun from the minute its stacked until it goes in the fire. I checked a sampling of what I've got and they're all 17-21%.

Wood galore here. Still folks advertising on craigslist to dump log length on the driveway AND pay you $200....

Just to add the pic:.

Two oak pieces (miswhacks with tye fiskar, i.e. thin slabs) invisible on the bottom.

IMG_20221113_140409717.jpg

Regarding oil; I have heated with my minisplit a bit the last few weeks when the sun didn't provide the heat.

My oil hydronic heat is present but not used. The hydronic pipes.are within the insulation envelope and remained good at least down to 10 F. The boiler will run because it also supplies my hot water. So I keep the system active and can run it anytime I need.

Wood galore here. Still folks advertising on craigslist to dump log length on the driveway AND pay you $200....

I really could get it for free, but I don't really have the time or space to make all that splitting and stacking work. I pay $500 for two cords stacked, and honestly that's good enough for me for now. I've got young kids and my weekends belong to them right now. Maybe one day in my older years.....

Regarding oil; I have heated with my minisplit a bit the last few weeks when the sun didn't provide the heat.

My oil hydronic heat is present but not used. The hydronic pipes.are within the insulation envelope and remained good at least down to 10 F. The boiler will run because it also supplies my hot water. So I keep the system active and can run it anytime I need.
Same here regarding the hot water. Oil runs it as well, so my oil system is never truly off.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes. I've seen $275 per.cord.

I've been there; mine are 10+ now. And I'm out East. It's my sanity treatment to buck and split. Was supposed to fell a few dead pines today but it was a bit too windy for my skills.