The Jellyfish: A 36†Personal Wind Turbine!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Anyone know much about the new plug and go wind systems? Worht the money?

Seems over-rated and low power at only 40kwh/month. $700-800 + wiring costs for the SmartBox Gateway could take a while to pay back. My back of the envelope calcs show more like a 20yr payback if installation final cost is $1000 and you are paying 11 cents/kwh. And that is assuming this device has a 20 yr. lifespan which I doubt.

My take: you need an excellent site to make wind power pay and bigger = better. That goes double for tower height. Solar is more suited to small scale IMO

BeGreen said:
Seems over-rated and low power at only 40kwh/month. $700-800 + wiring costs for the SmartBox Gateway could take a while to pay back. My back of the envelope calcs show more like a 20yr payback if installation final cost is $1000 and you are paying 11 cents/kwh. And that is assuming this device has a 20 yr. lifespan which I doubt.

Thats what I was afraid of.

midwestcoast said:
My take: you need an excellent site to make wind power pay and bigger = better. That goes double for tower height. Solar is more suited to small scale IMO

I seem to be in a jet stream where I am at. Only seen the flag drupe one time in 6 years. Then the hail cut lose. With my skill's as an "electrocutionist" Not good! The plug in model's seems do-able but not at that roi.
Now Pluming and making the whole hot water thing I can handle that. Thought about puting a solor loop tied to hot water heater.

Adios Pantalones said:
The onion had an article last year about a devastating air spill at a wind farm

Cant wait to get a couple 400 watt's in and spill it every-where! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.