The leak seems to be coming from the stove exhaust vent in the back....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Didn't get a chance to get back on this....

For my installed santa fe in the basement, I had mentioned a leak coming from the 90 tee cap in the back. I put foil tape around it and at the very bottom to seal the opening, so it is completely sealed in that area.

I then fired it up but this time opened right hand cover of the stove which allows me to see the very back of the connections between the appliance adapter going over the stove pipe. During startup I saw heavy to medium smoke from there and it looks like the clear silicone didn't seal/overflow the bottom section of the pipe (I see much more silicone through the top area vs. the bottom).

So, I will let the stove cool down and my only and best option would be to put silicone on my finger tip and start placing it around the collar hoping I can get all the way around.... :-(

Don't be afraid to put on your hands and spread it all over. More is better then less. I put on a latex glove and just was slapping it on. Worked great and clean hands!

geek said:
During startup I saw heavy to medium smoke from there and it looks like the clear silicone didn't seal/overflow the bottom section of the pipe (I see much more silicone through the top area vs. the bottom).

So, I will let the stove cool down and my only and best option would be to put silicone on my finger tip and start placing it around the collar hoping I can get all the way around.... :-( ..

Do the best you can, and maybe use the latex glove like Fish said. I actually didn't put the silicone on the pipe or inside the adapter collar....I slid the appliance adapter over as far as it would go, then drilled & put the screws in. I then went around the joint where the 2 pieces met and put a nice thick bead, and kinda pushed/smooshed it into the crack. Smoothed it out the best I could, and no leaks there.

Only leaks I had were on the cleanout T (doesn't everyone that uses Duravent???), and I sealed them with furnace tape.....leaks all gone.

I can post pics for you if you want, Geek.

thanks pete, yeah let me see a couple pics of the cleanout T just to make sure I see how you placed the tape, in my case I covered the very bottom....

Geek, here's a couple of pics of my "taping & siliconing" job on the appliance adapter & T. Going to spray paint it all with the High Heat black when i remember to bring the paint up from the basement.

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 647
surprised to see you didn't need to seal the tee cap at the bottom.

geek said:
surprised to see you didn't need to seal the tee cap at the bottom.

No, never saw any smoke from there.....keeping my fingers crossed anyway. :blank:

you need to fill the opening on the appliance adapter. the 1/4 inch opening between the stainless steel inner pipe and the galvanized outer pipe . if you didnt it will leak everytime

rickwa said:
you need to fill the opening on the appliance adapter. the 1/4 inch opening between the stainless steel inner pipe and the galvanized outer pipe . if you didnt it will leak everytime

really, are you kidding? that's a big gap and didn't know you really need to fill that too..

geek said:
rickwa said:

really, are you kidding? that's a big gap and didn't know you really need to fill that too..

IMO, I don't think so. I've had 2 appliance adapters on 2 different stoves in the past year....never saw smoke coming from that opening.

now that you guys talk about that opening, I really saw smoke coming from there when I was inspecting the connection from INSIDE the stove looking back. However I think that smoke was actually coming from the collar not being sealed properly and the fan/air blowing back there and pushing the smoke all over it.

I will definitely check this out today when I get home, really hoping to get this to an end b/c I have people coming over on Friday for dinner and we'll use the basement.

I'll report again later today...thanks folks....

macman said:
rickwa said:
Were you speaking to me in particular, or everybody?

I never saw any smoke from that "gap" yet.

geek said:

geek and macman.

The 3000 series and the 33000 series appliance adapters leak from this area. Not always but mine did. See 2 others also.

I am also hearing the pellet vent series has some issues there to. Nothing from the pellet vent pro.

Just FYI.
jay

jtakeman said:
geek and macman.

The 3000 series and the 33000 series appliance adapters leak from this area. Not always but mine did. See 2 others also.

I am also hearing the pellet vent series has some issues there to. Nothing from the pellet vent pro.

Just FYI.
jay

Jay, what are the #3000, 3300 series?

I thought everything that Simpson sells now for pellet stoves is all Pellet Vent Pro series? I just looked at the sticker that was on the appliance adapter for my 10-cpm, and it doesn't say anything about any "series"...only says the model # and "PVP" after it (Pellet Vent Pro).

just looked at the email that has the items for my order and it says the following for the appliance adapter:

"3PVP-AD-B Simpson Dura-Vent Appliance Adapter"

The other item's part numbers also have the PVP so it looks like I got the pellet vent pro.

EDIT: got confirmation that I got pellet vent pro.

macman said:
jtakeman said:
geek and macman.

Just FYI.
jay

Jay, what are the #3000, 3300 series?

I thought everything that Simpson sells now for pellet stoves is all Pellet Vent Pro series? I just looked at the sticker that was on the appliance adapter for my 10-cpm, and it doesn't say anything about any "series"...only says the model # and "PVP" after it (Pellet Vent Pro).

macman,
That would be pellet vent pro.

3000 and 33000 series is what you see at bigbox. The pellet vent series is compatable to the 3000 and 33000 series.

33000 series is corn rated. As is pellet vent. Pellet vent pro is biofuel and corn rated.

This is straight from Duravent application tech. I had to call them a while back and thats what they told me.

jay

jtakeman said:
......3000 and 33000 series is what you see at bigbox. The pellet vent series is compatable to the 3000 and 33000 series......33000 series is corn rated. As is pellet vent. Pellet vent pro is biofuel and corn rated.
This is straight from Duravent application tech. I had to call them a while back and thats what they told me.

jay

OK, thanks jay!

The only leak I ever had was at first fire, the appliance adapter gap was smoking. To repair I removed the first pipe and sealed it inside. If you seal the first pipe on the outside which I did, there is a unsealed seam on the appliance adapter that will leak out the gap.

I have been wanting to open my "T" adapter at the rear of my stove just to check and see just how much fly ash is building up there although I haven't burt to much yet. Right now I have no smoke leaking anywhere since the dealer did the install, however after reading all the posts about leaking Dura Vent piping I am getting a little leery about disturbing my "T". If I chose to go the leaf blower/vac route after brushing my pipe would it still be necessary to open the "T".

Any thoughts.

smalltown said:
I have been wanting to open my "T" adapter at the rear of my stove just to check and see just how much fly ash is building up there although I haven't burt to much yet. Right now I have no smoke leaking anywhere since the dealer did the install, however after reading all the posts about leaking Dura Vent piping I am getting a little leery about disturbing my "T". If I chose to go the leaf blower/vac route after brushing my pipe would it still be necessary to open the "T".

Any thoughts.

If its PVP have at it. If you have Pellet Vent I would just make sure you have some tape handy.

jay

Jay how can I tell after that fact if I have PVP or regular pellet vent? I took a look at mine and there doesn't seem to be any stamping on the metal. The installer sprayed painted my pipe flat black.
I took a look at the Simpson catalog and the terminationa cap style is a round termination new for 2009 in the Pellet Pro catalog, (the on line castalog for Pellet Vent is from 2008) but I cannot tell about the rest of the piping. Maybe they can mix and match Pellet Vent Pro sections with regluar Pellet Vent pieces?
I should call the Simpson Company and ask that question.

The leak is driving my NUTS...!!!

Yesterday afternoon I resiliconed the very back where the appliance adapter meets the stove framing, did the silicone from inside the stove after opening the door covers on the side.

Couple hours later fired it up.....waited....couple minutes later smoke all around this area again, it really "looked" like if the smoke was coming from the area rickwa posted above:
"you need to fill the opening on the appliance adapter. the 1/4 inch opening between the stainless steel inner pipe and the galvanized outer pipe . if you didnt it will leak everytime"

I am shocked if that's where the leak is coming from, is a big gap. At first a few days ago Isaw smoke coming from inside there but thought it was because the smoke was being pushed back there by the pressure. I talked to dynamitebuys and Sean has never heard of a leak coming from the inner pipe.

AMOST PULLING MY HAIR ........!!!!!!!!!

geek said:
The leak is driving my NUTS...!!!

Yesterday afternoon I resiliconed the very back where the appliance adapter meets the stove framing, did the silicone from inside the stove after opening the door covers on the side.

Couple hours later fired it up.....waited....couple minutes later smoke all around this area again, it really "looked" like if the smoke was coming from the area rickwa posted above:
"you need to fill the opening on the appliance adapter. the 1/4 inch opening between the stainless steel inner pipe and the galvanized outer pipe . if you didnt it will leak everytime"

I am shocked if that's where the leak is coming from, is a big gap. At first a few days ago Isaw smoke coming from inside there but thought it was because the smoke was being pushed back there by the pressure. I talked to dynamitebuys and Sean has never heard of a leak coming from the inner pipe.

AMOST PULLING MY HAIR ........!!!!!!!!!

that is exactly where mine was pouring out of.........taped it and no more leak

on your install, is that area exposed so you see from the back?
Mine is not, it is just inside the back cover.......I will try to pour lot of silicone around, hope I can cover the whole thing.

Is it "normal" for the adapter to leak from the inner side ?? I mean, I wonder how many people have had this exact issue with the adapter...

Status
Not open for further replies.