The leaking season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr._Graybeard

Feeling the Heat
Apr 27, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
After 10 working seasons, the blanking plate on my Harman PB105 pellet boiler began leaking this month after I stopped firing it and it cooled down. It had showed an occasional minor seepage previously that stopped when I torqued down the studs, but this time the leak was bad enough to require attention.

When I pulled the plate it was obvious that the rubber (?) gasket had plasticized and grown brittle. A factory replacement was available for $25 w/shipping. Some minor rust cleanup on plate and boiler body was necessary, so to get better access I wanted to remove the sheet metal cladding. That would require removing the drain spigot and return pipe. An easier alternative was to hack a couple of slots in the sheet metal so the cladding could be lifted free -- the way Harman SHOULD have built it.

After reassembling the plate and gasket, I refilled the boiler -- and noticed that the process of opening the drain, a Nibco quarter-turn ball valve, had caused it to spring a small leak around the shaft. Grrr. The replacement spigot arrived today via eBay, so I'll be draining the unit down again.

After

Reactions: sloeffle
My underground lines are spray foamed Pex al Pex. Nice stuff except the brass fittings that push into the pex tubing leak once temps come down to room temperature. Any heat at all and they seal back up. I've redone them once making sure there was a good chamfer where the fittings go into the pex and some are better but some still leak. I'm sure it's the small cross section orings on the fittings that are the culprit. Not a big deal but it does require an annual line flush to get the air out and back up to proper pressure. Fortunately it does not affect my main boiler to storage loop and that maintains pressure.