1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The leaves aren't falling yet....

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Mrs. Krabappel, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    *sigh* you guys started talking about your nuts and you got my thread kicked down to just north of the can
    Jags and BrotherBart like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    According to Thomas Jefferson, Washington could crack walnuts with his bare hands.
  3. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Dom & I share the same cheapo wood guy , plus I have another (who also is bringing me pallets :cool: !!!) At $100 or so a load, it's not worth it to scrounge everything. I've got enough "to big to fit in either stove" that needs to be resplit, plus 2 humungous oak trees that I has taken down (for a ridiculous price), that still have to be processed. Luckily I have a borrowed splitter coming in soon, and I'll have it for a few weeks, so everything will get done.

Plus a neighbor who've I've known since I was a kid has 2 trees (oak) down & cut in her yard, and she asked me if I wanted it in return for giving her split wood in exchange (done deal !!). She just burns in her FP. I'll load up some of my stuff, unload & stack for her, them load up her stuff, bring it home, & split it.

At that point, I shu;d be good to go for a few years, and can just buy a few cords a year, and process what ever the carpenter ants are killing. Plus, the girls have a another heavily wooded acre that needs tree work. We'll be good to go for quite a while.
    PapaDave likes this.
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Only one way I know of to get a grip like that.;em That oughta get this thread kicked to the can. A C::-)
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I can do that easily with two walnuts.
  6. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    My grandpa showed me when I was a kid..."Here's how we can eat Walnuts when we can't find one of the nutcrackers". Of course these were all Walnuts that had been stripped of the husk & dried/cured for the commercial grocery market (a process of which I'm completely ignorant). In any case, it wasn't all that difficult to crack the shells on one or even sometimes both of the two.
  7. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    I can still see my father cracking English walnuts by the fireplace and throwing the hulls in the fire. We got him a grocery sack full for Christmas every year.
    He could crack a single walnut with his bare hand...and a kids skull for misbehaving as well...:)
  8. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    I have 2 large big leaf maples in my front yard, and the neighboring properties have more big leaf maples and alders. When the leaves are really dropping my front yard can be under a foot of leaves in less than 48 hours.
    [​IMG]

I inherited my grandparents' old riding mower that's probably as old as I am. It's overkill for just mowing the grass in my small yard, so I only pull it out of the garage when I need a leaf harvester.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just scatter the chopped up leaves in the woods behind the house.
  9. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    :confused:Its official - I am old.:mad:
  10. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    naw, that mower is older than it looks...you can't see the team of horses pulling it from that angle. Thats also not a cup holder...that's where you're supposed to keep your rifle....for fighting off bandits.
    firefighterjake and Jags like this.
  11. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Delta - the seat is in better condition than I am.!!!
    Delta-T likes this.
  12. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    We used to do leaf removal at a cemetery. The leaves would be 18 inches deep before we blew them into windrows to vacuum up. Next to weedeating a cemetery, leave removal is the next most evil part of that job.
  13. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Isaw the lineup of stoves at Lowes on tax holiday weekend, and the local mulch/wood/coal/etc yard has the huge mountain of wood out by the street. Signs of the times.

I LOVE fall. A couple weekends of raking is a nice change of pace from months of mowing. Apple picking, mulled cider, turkey day, football. Love it all. My favorite time of year. One more work trip and then nothing but fall and the holidays to look forward to.

On the wood front I'm looking at my best stack yet, and much of this years I got free and hand split due to the neighbors Irene trees. Still at least a cord left to split come fall, should get me through 13/14 burning. Probably be back to buying wood after that runs out, don't have the space or equipment to scrounge full time.
  14. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Autumn leaves--love em. I wait until end of November, the wind will blow a lot away, then go over the rest with the riding mower, and then use the bagger to vacuum them up for the compost heaps. Come spring I have lovely mulch and the start of some of the best compost I have ever used.
    PapaDave likes this.
  15. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  16. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    If I bagged my leaves (and my walnuts), there would likely be a national shortage of trash bags. :mad:

The first "big" purchase in the new house was a Little Wonder blower. Second was a handheld Echo blower, to blow leaves out of the gardens, and feed the Little Wonder.
  17. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Amazing what the bigger LW's will push. >>
  18. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Ultra-Vac's ...

Leaf Plows ...

and Truck Loaders!

Oh My! ::-)
  19. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Cool nights, but no heat needed yet. Be wearing real clothes soon- this is my favorite time of year.