The Light Show

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
After years of posts here about "how long should secondary burn last" and me posting often that I don't know because I just get some nice flames going in the load and get irritated if the tubes start blasting, I decided to give it a go tonight.

Loaded the 30 at straight up nine o'clock with a load of dry oak on a good coal bed up front and took it up to 550 and closed it down to 25%. I still won't be able to answer the question because it has been cruising at 600 with the tubes blasting for two and a half hours and isn't showing any signs of stopping lately. And I am tired and have to go to bed.

So the answer must be "At least two and a half hours". :coolsmirk:

I thought that was how long it took to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop? ;-P

I can say depending on the wood the answer is "At least 3 to 3 1/2 hours." Then I fall asleep.... at 3 1/2 it is not blasting but kinda lazy.

I think a better determination would be fire box size, or volume of wood, and overall length of burn cycle to the length of secondary burn time. i know with a large box, long cycle your bound to get a longer secondary time then small box, short cycle.

3.5hrs! certainly would be nice round these parts

Stump_Branch said:
I think a better determination would be fire box size, or volume of wood, and overall length of burn cycle to the length of secondary burn time. i know with a large box, long cycle your bound to get a longer secondary time then small box, short cycle.

3.5hrs! certainly would be nice round these parts

True I do have a big box. Size does matter for this discussion.

All I know is my Morso has a wall of flame along the tubes with a flue temp of 1000 degrees and it is beautiful and I am warm. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.