The Most Efficient Log Splitter Ever Designed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJP Electric

Jul 3, 2008
N. New Hampshire
I rember them in the late 70's the truck falling off the jack was common

smokinj said:
I rember them in the late 70's the truck falling off the jack was common
Guys vying for Darwin Awards. In the video, the guy has an axle stand. In reality most guys put a block of wood under the axle. The last thing you want is for the axle to be hanging on the spring and moving up and down. The Stickler also works much better with longer wood and with a steel plate on the ground.

I'll stick with my hydraulic ram even if it uses so much gas. I'm going to keep track of how much gas it uses when I split my next 12 cord. The wife claims it adds too much to the cost of heating with wood. I think she just wants me to do it the hard way with an axe. She's just full of ideas to save money that mean more work for ME. I'm thinking the lawn tractor is the next victim of austerity measures and I will be pushing a reel mower. I better hide my swede saw.

Hey now, check the link in my sig. I own one of these deathtraps mounted to a tractor. I would happily trade for a stand alone hydraulic ram version but the 1000$-1200$ is tough to spend. If money was cheaper....

Back in the days I was still splitting with an axe, I had a neighbor with a PTO mounted Stickler and he came over to help me with a few stringy pieces I just couldn't do with the axe. He didn't do much better with the Stickler either but did manage to create some sort of funky art that burned real nice in the outdoor firepit.

I wonder how many folks have been impaled on those suckers?

Hello everyone ,
I'm new to the forum and realize this is an old topic but I have burned wood for over 25 years and used the stickler for about 5 years..All these comments on how dangerous this tool is and how it gets tangled in wood is coming from people who have never used this tool. I split about 15 cord a year with the stickler and have had no such trouble.The problem these days are so many cry babies running to there lawyers office when they get hurt because they don't know how to use a tool designed for a specific job! The stickler is safe efficient and can out split most $1000 hydraulic units out there!!!!

jimmy55 said:
Hello everyone ,
I'm new to the forum and realize this is an old topic but I have burned wood for over 25 years and used the stickler for about 5 years..All these comments on how dangerous this tool is and how it gets tangled in wood is coming from people who have never used this tool. I split about 15 cord a year with the stickler and have had no such trouble.The problem these days are so many cry babies running to there lawyers office when they get hurt because they don't know how to use a tool designed for a specific job! The stickler is safe efficient and can out split most $1000 hydraulic units out there!!!!

Hello, what position at this company do you hold?

NoPaint said:
jimmy55 said:
Hello everyone ,

Hello, what position at this company do you hold?

I am just a 55 year old man who has been using wood as my only heat source for over 25 years.I am not associated with this company in any way!!I bet you have never used this product and like most talk out of pure ignorance on this tool..As far as i know this splitter has been around since the early 1970's and only requires a few minutes to take the tire of and bolt the stickler on.How many people have you heard of that have been hurt using this product? Close to 40 years of service and still a wonderful splitter!!! If you have never used one your comments are a waste of my time!

jimmy55 said:
Hello everyone ,

Those of us who enjoy a few beers when we're working should probably stick with the hydraulic ram splitter!

I own one, use one, and still think it is a ridiculously dangerous tool. I respect your, and my, right to own one and hope to always have that right.

Yes it is fast. I can't think of a more dangerous tool.

Highbeam said:

You're not trying hard enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY

I also once saw a video of one that was a HUGE overhead flywheel with a splitter mounted off a rod directly attached to the flywheel off center. The rod would SLAM down with the full force of the flywheel every few seconds.

Highbeam said:
I own one, use one, and still think it is a ridiculously dangerous tool. I respect your, and my, right to own one and hope to always have that right.

If its so dangerous why do you continue to use it? Which mounting plate do you use? I also have an adapter and use mine on my post auger hooked to my IH TRACTOR. I can pick up a 20ft section in seconds and lift it up and cut my desired lengths falling in splits as i cut. After over 100 cords of wood split with this tool i cant understand why you think its so dangerous.Whatever torque that the stickler may place on the log while splitting is directed to the ground.Much safer than a hydraulic system in my opinion

Definitely not safer than a hydraulic system. I think those big wheel types with the wedge on them are about on par with the screw type. Better hope that weld holds.

ANYTHING in motion while your hands/body parts are near is more dangerous than something not in motion when body parts are near. Hydraulic press type splitter is not in motion when loading the wood to be split. Something spinning that can screw into you, or get a shirt wrapped around it then takr your arm for a ride, is going to be more dangerous. The big wheel with a wedge, the wedge will fly off and seriously injure someone.

All power equipment is dangerous if used improperly, and considerably less dangerous when used with safety in mind

jimmy55 said:
Highbeam said:

If its so dangerous why do you continue to use it? Which mounting plate do you use? I also have an adapter and use mine on my post auger hooked to my IH TRACTOR. I can pick up a 20ft section in seconds and lift it up and cut my desired lengths falling in splits as i cut. After over 100 cords of wood split with this tool i cant understand why you think its so dangerous.Whatever torque that the stickler may place on the log while splitting is directed to the ground.Much safer than a hydraulic system in my opinion

I use it because it's all I have. Sometimes you have to make do, I would gladly trade this one for a hydraulic splitter. Click on the link in my signature to see the photos, I use a tractor mounted version which is a relatively safe application of the screw principle.

There are two obvious risks in this tool. The screw can suck you into it and rip you apart and the other risk is when a shorter log will begin to spin and break your arms. I've definitely had the logs start to spin but was able to stand clear in time. None of these risks are present with a traditional hydraulic splitter. What makes these two risks less manageable is the speed at which the screw turns and the inability to stop it from turning. Have you noticed that most every tool from chainsaws, to lawnmowers has a dead man shutoff that stops the implement if the human operator lets go of the device?

If there was a foot pedal that energized the screw until you let off of it or some other sort of on/off button the risk would be considerably less.

Karl: I can't think of a commonly found and mass produced tool that is more dangerous.

I had a neighbor that owned one and I only ever used it once with his help. I found that it doesn't split with the same control and accuracy as a hydraulic wedge. It rather just tears the wood apart and often had to be wrestled off the screw and pulled apart by hand. Sure, it did OK with the easy straight grained stuff but so too did my axe.

Ill leave the wheels on my Dodge diesel for driving thank you... The money Id save on gas/diesel compared to running a vehicle and setup time should cover the expense to buy a gas powered splitter. Im pretty sure you would get more safe splits per gallon on the hydraulic.

Safety aside, I'm not really certain where the "most efficient" thing comes in. Running a V8 motor to split firewood? Not likely "the most efficient" solution. Now if someone built a setup similar to a hydraulic splitter with an electric or gas powered lathe running the screw, and a manually operated lever with a ram that pushes the log into the screw, the safety and efficiency could probably be vastly improved.

I'm sure some scientist could come up with an actual amount of energy required to split a log, and it's pretty likely that the actual least amount of energy consumed for splitting is in the form of a hydraulic splitter in vertical mode because the maul/axe head does not need to be lifted/swung every time, and the log needs to be lifted and moved the smallest amount of distance. Human energy is still energy that needs to be produced in the form of chemical energy from the food we eat.

edit: HB, maybe you should take the same stance as Jimmy on this one, and then someone might be willing to make that trade! :coolgrin:

karri0n said:
Definitely not safer than a hydraulic system. I think those big wheel types with the wedge on them are about on par with the screw type. Better hope that weld holds.

ANYTHING in motion while your hands/body parts are near is more dangerous than something not in motion when body parts are near. Hydraulic press type splitter is not in motion when loading the wood to be split. Something spinning that can screw into you, or get a shirt wrapped around it then takr your arm for a ride, is going to be more dangerous. The big wheel with a wedge, the wedge will fly off and seriously injure someone.

All power equipment is dangerous if used improperly, and considerably less dangerous when used with safety in mind

Every tool is in motion at some point.It is the operators responsibility to keep hands clear while in operation. I will continue to use my maintenance free stickler that cost $100.00 and you can use your $1000.00+ wood splitters.Whats funny is most city folks think there saving so much money burning wood!! Factor in the expensive equipment you use to split your wood and i think your better off heating with LP gas..We have harvested our wood from our 400 acre farm for over 20 years and have more standing timber now than when we made our first cut! As far as the comment about a weld breaking are you kidding me? I guess we could say don't drive your car either if the frame welds break that could be dangerous! I say keep up with the jones and keep buying your big hydraulic units if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and safe..

Maybe get an all wheel drive truck...put it on blocks.....get 4 of those implements of destruction for each wheel....4 buddies.....now you are efficiently running that 8 cylinder :)

karri0n said:
Safety aside, I'm not really certain where the "most efficient" thing comes in. Running a V8 motor to split firewood? Not likely "the most efficient" solution. Now if someone built a setup similar to a hydraulic splitter with an electric or gas powered lathe running the screw, and a manually operated lever with a ram that pushes the log into the screw, the safety and efficiency could probably be vastly improved.

I'm sure some scientist could come up with an actual amount of energy required to split a log, and it's pretty likely that the actual least amount of energy consumed for splitting is in the form of a hydraulic splitter in vertical mode because the maul/axe head does not need to be lifted/swung every time, and the log needs to be lifted and moved the smallest amount of distance. Human energy is still energy that needs to be produced in the form of chemical energy from the food we eat.

edit: HB, maybe you should take the same stance as Jimmy on this one, and then someone might be willing to make that trade! :coolgrin:

I can use it on my tractor from sitting in the seat or my Chevy s10, all day use and the fuel gage doesn't move.,After testing mother earth called it the
"most efficient wood splitter"much more earth friendly since you already have the power unit..Purchasing a hydraulic unit it not exactly earth friendly or efficient in any way!!,now if your argument was using the AX you win..

Highbeam said:
jimmy55 said:
Highbeam said:

I use it because it's all I have. Sometimes you have to make do, I would gladly trade this one for a hydraulic splitter. Click on the link in my signature to see the photos, I use a tractor mounted version which is a relatively safe application of the screw principle.

There are two obvious risks in this tool. The screw can suck you into it and rip you apart and the other risk is when a shorter log will begin to spin and break your arms. I've definitely had the logs start to spin but was able to stand clear in time. None of these risks are present with a traditional hydraulic splitter. What makes these two risks less manageable is the speed at which the screw turns and the inability to stop it from turning. Have you noticed that most every tool from chainsaws, to lawnmowers has a dead man shutoff that stops the implement if the human operator lets go of the device?

If there was a foot pedal that energized the screw until you let off of it or some other sort of on/off button the risk would be considerably less.

Karl: I can't think of a commonly found and mass produced tool that is more dangerous.

The kill switch is wired into the truck on my s10 all supplied by stickler the teather wire is kept near,simply pull the teather and it kills every thing. You would no that if you truly had one and used it properly..

Status
Not open for further replies.