The Newbie Dictionary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvMyPellets

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2012
Delaware
I kind of feel sorry for new people that venture on to this forum as they have no access to the meaning of the cute little acronyms that have been coined here. Maybe this could be a sticky. I am sure there are many more but this is just a few.

OAK-Outside Air Kit! Not really as this shows up nowhere in any acronym dictionary. What it really means! One of a Kind or Oakland Raiders

EVL-Equivalent vent length! No wrong again! Not found in the dictionary. Real meaning! Emergency Vehicle Locator

LBT-My personal favorite! Leaf Blower Trick! Real Meaning! Lesbian Bisexual Transgender

Shoulder Season-How this one has anything to do with a pellet stove is a mystery but it seems to pop up on here often. Real meaning(and only one) The slow season in the resort industry.

SETS- Somerset Pellets! NAH! Stock Exchange Electronic Trading Service

Please feel free to add your own!

Shoulder Season-How this one has anything to do with a pellet stove is a mystery but it seems to pop up on here often. Real meaning(and only one) The slow season in the resort industry.

When you can burn a day or more on what you can carry into the stove room on one shoulder (normally one bag) also known as on/off season, but if you are really feeling your Wheaties maybe two bags.

Clean the stove. Real meaning start just outside the air intake and every thing from there to just outside the vent termination needs to be cleaned and spit shined. No exceptions.

Heating season. When you need two shoulders to carry the fuel into the stove room and it is likely all gone in a day, also known as hi/low or continuous burn season or winter.

Last edited:
RA (room air fan)
CA (combustion air fan)
Pot (where the fuel goes)
Stirrer (what stirs the fuel around)
RM (relative moisture content of pellets or corn)
HR (heat range)
PPH (pounds per hour of fuel delivery)

Dork (someone that lacks the sense to keep the stove clean and then whines on here because it don't work right)........:p

Reactions: OPtaylor
BPD-bags per day

I kind of feel sorry for new people that venture on to this forum as they have no access to the meaning of the cute little acronyms that have been coined here. Maybe this could be a sticky. I am sure there are many more but this is just a few.

OAK-Outside Air Kit! Not really as this shows up nowhere in any acronym dictionary. What it really means! One of a Kind or Oakland Raiders

EVL-Equivalent vent length! No wrong again! Not found in the dictionary. Real meaning! Emergency Vehicle Locator

LBT-My personal favorite! Leaf Blower Trick! Real Meaning! Lesbian Bisexual Transgender

SETS- Somerset Pellets! NAH! Stock Exchange Electronic Trading Service

Please feel free to add your own!
FINES- what you get from the Stove Police for not cleaning your stove then bitchin here that your[Insert Brand] Sucks.!!

Harmoan. What I emit every time people that payed too much for a pellet stove start peeing on the one you bought.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Awwww man did I miss u Bert where ya been buddy?

the shoulder season: think of the temps from beginning of fall to the end of spring, if you were to record all those temps it would make a bell curve chart. now the two points in fall and spring when the temps are in the middle of the chart its the shoulder season. its the shoulder of the bell chart.

harmAn. A pellet stove brand. Not Harmon, Harmen or harmin. Searching CL (Craigslist) for a harman, can you tell?

Harmoan. What I emit every time people that payed too much for a pellet stove start peeing on the one you bought.

Or maybe........... The sound disgruntled others make when they realized it would have been more money well spent every time they have to clean, adjust, tinker, and replace parts. LOL! :p ;) ;lol ;lol ;lol Oh Geez, Wally! It's OK Beav.

Or maybe........... The sound disgruntled others make when they realized it would have been more money well spent every time they have to clean, adjust, tinker, and replace parts. LOL! :p ;) ;lol ;lol ;lol Oh Geez, Wally! It's OK Beav.
watched a few youtube videos on cleaning other brands..
lot more steps involved ..Inserts don't look like too much fun either..

Pellet stove - An over priced bucket of parts all of which can and have failed.

Harman pellet stove see Pellet stove above.
USSC pellet stove see Pellet stove above
Breckwell pellet stove see Pellet stove above
You name it pellet stove see Pellet stove above

The list was to long to put them all in the Newbie Dictionary.

Last edited:
Agreed Smokey, but had to return fire for fun. LOL! It's all part of the pellet burning enjoyment. Everything breaks. Key word is YET = Your Eligible Too. Wife is about to start Pellet 101 class these next couple of weeks before I leave for a job out of town. Already have 2 tons stocked inside the garage for her. If she wants to stay warm she'll need to pay attention. ;lol

OP does have a good point because I know I scratched my head a few times. LBT got me and I just flat out asked WTH it meant. Think I'll Google shortened text words and acronyms and print them out. I'm just not too hip and cool these days. It's bad when the older crowd and my 10-12 year old kids get it but I don't. :eek:

Reactions: kappel15
(ENGLANDER) Every,Noob,Glances,Learns,And,Never,Does,Ever,Return.

Dork (someone that lacks the sense to keep the stove clean and then whines on here because it don't work right)........
I thought you said it was "Blonde"

Hey!!!! My englander has been very good to me and my a$$ is nice and toasty all that matters
Happy for ya bro , atleast I spelled englander correctly.just poking fun no worries mate

Happy for ya bro , atleast I spelled englander correctly.just poking fun no worries mate

Maybe, however it is a England's (note no er) Stove Works stove. Now you can return to your favorite spot on the floor beside that bucket of parts you have masquerading as a stove :p.

Last edited:
England Stove Works, any stove works in England.

England's Stove Works, a stove works in Monroe, VA.

Maybe, however it is a England's (note no er) Stove Works stove. Now you can return to your favorite spot on the floor beside that bucket of parts you have masquerading as a stove :p.
So your saying they don't call it englander?

Status
Not open for further replies.