The newly added woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ohiowoodstove

Dec 20, 2021
Ohio
I embarked on a solo mission to build a woodshed. This thing is 16x8ft solid oak beast. 16ft 4x6 floor joists, 4x6 verticals and 2x6s all the way around. I’m excited t get the maple and locust wood out from the tarp in the driveway and give it a proper home along with a couple stacks of ash. A decent wood supply will no longer be a concern!

F86B77B7-130C-4D46-8B3C-C0E2A2C7002B.jpeg 9A5C7C2F-98E0-4BCB-AACA-156F303123F8.jpeg BE13E555-AB24-4C9A-A39E-BF5473CA00BA.jpeg

Very nice! I would also add some vertical studs or cattle fencing to the center divider to stop one side from spilling into the other. I did not do this though our shed is of a similar design and the same size. Since then I have used jerry-rigged solutions to keep the stacks in their proper bays and need to make a permanent fix.

I was just thinking about this. Initially I thought I’d just stack it all the way across but I will probably end up dividing it.

Our bays hold 3 cords each which is about 1 heating season per bay. I keep our fast seasoning doug fir in one bay and longer seasoning hardwood in the second bay. You have a better selection of hardwoods, but this might work with ash and oak for example.

Reactions: Ohiowoodstove
I actually have a walnut i need to drop and no shortage of dead ash around. This year I upgraded to a blaze king so we will see how well we do using mainly wood heat instead of propane

Very beefy. One thing I would suggest adding to the back is a diagonal brace from a lower corner to an upper corner on the up wind side and tie it to each vertical upright going across. Go in any warehouse or commercial steel building and you will see two bays with "X" braces in them on two sides of the building for the same reason. Ideally I would do it on the sides but aesthetically some folks do not like the looks, the rear one is far more important. It keeps the structure from twisting. I also believe in putting a solid wall on the upwind side where the prevailing winter winds could blow snow in from the side. I didnt do that originally and had a near blizzard one year and found snow had come in the side and up and over the stacks of nice dry wood. I ended up putting a piece of silver tarp over that end and sealing it up and its been there for 25 years even though I thought I would take it down in the spring. I tarp the front of mine in the winter with a hanging tarp that I hold the edges down with a couple of pieces of strapping on either side. That also keeps snow from getting in. That gets removed in the spring.

Very nice! I would also add some vertical studs or cattle fencing to the center divider to stop one side from spilling into the other. I did not do this though our shed is of a similar design and the same size. Since then I have used jerry-rigged solutions to keep the stacks in their proper bays and need to make a permanent fix.
I have cattle fencing on my sheds. Works great!