The next wave of cyber attacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell GX610 and GX620 machines did that without even being attacked. Just turned'em on.

Reactions: firebroad
This is exactly what should happen to the hackers machine. Identify the hackers machines and fry them,literally.
My Dell GX610 and GX620 machines did that without even being attacked. Just turned'em on.
And my dell inspiron laptop. I got it for just about nothin to try to get some use out of a machine that was useless from new. Worst computer company year after year.It a mystery they are still going.

Bro Bart... 'member those two Dells I bought for $20k last month? One is already dead. Dell is building a new one to swap out. Third Dell machine I've bought of this caliber, two of three had motherboard trouble out of the box.

This hack is frightening for anyone with a house made of anything flammable.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Wow. On an Apple non the less!!

ANdrew
now "they say" that my ipad can get a virus too,,,a patch coming for safari browser. It was nice while it lasted!

I can barely wait for what will be revealed next.

The funny thing is the Linux crowed sitting back thinking an OS that is open to anybody feels like they are "safe". Give me a break. The first net virus was a Unix worm.

Reactions: Swedishchef
They are just low volume and not worth the effort for now. It's similar to the complacency that Mac users are having to wake up from.

Last edited:
They are just low volume and not worth the effort for now. It's similar to the complacency that Mac users are having to wake up from.

Zactly - Macs/Linux were never virus proof - it is just that nobody spent the energy when MS had so many low hanging fruit to pick. Plus - its fun to hit back at the neighborhood bully, not nearly as much fun to pick on the skinny nerd.

Zactly - Macs/Linux were never virus proof - it is just that nobody spent the energy when MS had so many low hanging fruit to pick. Plus - its fun to hit back at the neighborhood bully, not nearly as much fun to pick on the skinny nerd.

Some yes...some no. Unix has been hardened over the decades due to it's use in major places like AT&T, etc.....all way before either Mac or Windows. Also, the various branches and open-source (or close) nature of the beast makes it so that patches can happen quicker...

All sometimes...of course. In the end any and every system can be hacked. However, my record is that since 1984 I have not had a single hacking nor run anti-virus on any of my corporate or personal macs....or, for that matter, on my Linux servers that run Hearth.com....

Windows, especially consumer versions, had the problem of trying to be too friendly (easy macros, etc.), which is just one instance of allowing the machine to be opened to hacking.

Windows systems have hardened up a bit too. I have not had a hack attempt since the mid 2000's. None at all with Win7. But then again I don't click on ads and stay out of the seedier parts of the internet.

and stay out of the seedier parts of the internet

I have to go there for R & D...or at least that is what I tell my boss.>>

Reactions: Ashful
Microsoft provides free virus protection for WIndows 7 for any who are not aware of it. Called Microsoft security essentials. You have to download it from their website.
WHy its not just included with windows computers is anyones guess.

It is not going to stop. It will get worse if past performance is any indicator.

Windows systems have hardened up a bit too. I have not had a hack attempt since the mid 2000's. None at all with Win7. But then again I don't click on ads and stay out of the seedier parts of the internet.

What ya growin out west there BeGreen, that your buyin seeds? :cool:

Carrots radishes and lettuce currently.

Reactions: Huntindog1
I think some gamers have burned up their PC's just playing too hard......
>>

Without the fans and with some good CPU intensive programs, many PC's would self-destruct, although I suspect some have (or will in the future) some kind of fuse protection against extreme temps.

In other news, Moe's Garage has proven they can destroy car engines by letting water out of the cooling system or draining the oil.
>>

If they hack my wood stove thats the end of the line for me.!!!
I wont be able to keep warm.

A good reason to stay away from internet-connected electronically controlled stoves (yes, they all exist!).....as long as you keep it isolated from the cloud, you will be OK.

I think some gamers have burned up their PC's just playing too hard......
>>

Without the fans and with some good CPU intensive programs, many PC's would self-destruct, although I suspect some have (or will in the future) some kind of fuse protection against extreme temps.

In other news, Moe's Garage has proven they can destroy car engines by letting water out of the cooling system or draining the oil.
>>

Agreed they will have to come up with a better protection scheme. I'm not a gamer but my MacBook Pro gets quite hot when streaming videos to AppleTV. After a couple hours of watching the Daily Show episodes it is seriously warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.