The novelty of the IR gun has passed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quinte said:
SpeakEasy said:
I guess the point of having the tool is to learn, and that's what you did: you learned. Now it's more or less internalized.

-Speak

Up until two weeks ago I didn't even know IR temperature meters existed, but then again I've been living in a tent in the desert for the past +5 years. So yes, of course I absolutely had to have one, being on sale and all. Primarily as you note, the idea was to learn a little more about what temperatures I was reaching given that the stove is a closed combustion type unit. With no easy means to meter, I needed to know if I was burning to hot, to cold, or just right... Alternately though I also utilized the IR temp meter to check the insulation around the house. Excellent for identifying cold areas and insulation problems around the new house. What I thought was a moisture problem in the bath has turned out to be a small cold spot.

So I continue to play and learn, but eventually I can see the meter as being just one more tool laying around the house. Thanks to the experience within this forum though, I've learned a great deal more information that has helped me to tweak my fires and burn just a little better.
Thanks for your service, Quinte.

You will still want to pick up a dedicated IR unit. I got one at Harbor Freight for around $20-$30.

This unit has the following range: -22'F/-30'C - 302'F/150'C

RenovationGeorge said:
Treacherous said:
I still use my IR gun for temp checks but I have also started looking for thermal leaks around my place with this unit. It seems to work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1292947258&sr=8-1

Once you set a baseline temperature by pointing at a surface it will display temperature and also shines a green light on spot. As you move around to cooler or warmer areas the light will change to red or blue accordingly on the surface you are pointed at. It also allows you to detect these differences at three set levels (1'F/0.5'C, 5'F/3.0'C,10'F/5.5'C)

41l+qy9imdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for the tip, Treacherous.

What's the temperature range on it? I didn't see any listed on Amazon, and it would be nice if it were useful for stove temps too.

Thanks!

Good tip. I will have to try that. I suspect of the rears on my old Explorer might be sticking.

homebrewz said:
One additional use for IR thermometers.. checking for uneven heating on disc brakes after driving, which can indicate a sticky caliper.
(*everyone grabs their IR, checks their cars*)

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
I can't imagine what an IR gun would tell you that a basic thermometer couldn't.

~Rose

Well for stove use, there are stoves out there like my Rockland that do not have a spot large enough to place a thermometer where you can read it. And I havent owned a basic stove thermo that was anywhere near accurate and would not have known had I not compared it to the IR.

But like stated prior there are many non-stove uses as well. I have used it to set oil temp in a frying pan as well as a reference for several other thermometers. Lots of automotive uses. I just used it the other week to set the temp in my fridge I have for aging deer. Those old dial controls that go from 'coldest' to 'warmest' arent that handy for setting a specific temperature! No, not a must have but handy for certain things.

ckarotka said:
It's funny, not to down play safety, (that's my constant disclaimer) but the phrase "whatever" seems to come to mind while tending the stove more, and more.

Somebody needs a cr*ppy stove! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.