The perfect flame....?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donn2390

Dec 1, 2007
I have a 40 k btu Mendota I have been using for a few months now, but have a question about adjusting the flame for maximum efficiency.
The manufacturers instructions are vague. The say to set shutter valve to from 1/8 to 1/4". At that setting, the flame is mostly orange, and the color doesn't seem to change much as I open the shutter further.
I don't seem to have a lot of sooting on the glass. How do I adjust for max efficiency? Give me a good plan for adjusting the flame..
Thank you

If you want maximum efficiency, open the air shutter completely.
A BLUE flame is burning cleaner & is more efficient than a YELLOW one.
Take a look as a gas furnace or boiler...The only
time the flame is YELLOW is when you disturb dust or dirt & it burns up.
Unfortnately, wood fires burn YELLOW & that's what gas fireplaces are meant to represent...
If you want it to look REALISTIC, that's another issue...
The flames should be YELLOW at the top & BLUE towards the burner holes...
If your flames appear ORANGE, they're starving for O2 & will soot up both your logs & glass...

Status
Not open for further replies.