The Saga Continues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jsteed

Jun 3, 2018
Seattle
Hello again everyone. Its been a while since I was last here. I posted a thread a while back...

In that thread, I discussed the difficulty I had getting a liner down. Well, its down now. I hired what I thought was a reputable outfit... "been doing this for 39 years"... well, I'm not sure what he was doing for 39 years, but it wasn't chimney work. Basically I got scammed. Anyways, they did get the liner down, but the liner I bought was (allegedly) too short. They added about 5 feet of rigid pipe to the top. Then when I asked him to install the stove as well (I figured hey, he's got a couple experienced guys here... why not just have them knock it out) they couldn't for the life of them get the liner attached to the top of the stove. They spent 3 hours putting the stove in, taking it out, trying multiple elbows on it, etc. I started watching them since it was taking so long and I was woefully unimpressed with the work they were doing. They cracked the hearth tile, made a mess of my carpet ( I had to put tarps down, they didnt do it!) and finally I just asked them to leave. I think the problem was the liner was so tight in the flue that there was almost no give where it meets the stove. Add in the fact that the liner comes into the box at an angle, and it makes things difficult. Another complicating factor is that the firebox is in poor repair so when you "slide" the stove in and out, it was breaking up the floor of the firebox. The stove is in the firebox, "partially" connected to the liner.

My plan, now that I'm on my own, is to remove the stove again and pour a new floor in the firebox. I'm considering a self leveling cement vs just a mortar which may be easier to break out if needed. Not sure. I'm wondering after that is settled and its easier to slide the stove in and out, what is the best collar or attachment to use to connect the liner to the stove? Remember that the liner has very little movement, and no up/down movement because it is so tight in the chimney. The firebox is also pretty small and its a tight fit. I have maybe 4 inched to work with on top of the stove. I guess I'll just have to work with it for a while until I get something to fit. Can I use a black pipe 90 elbow on it? is there a small, maybe 4" length slip collar that could slide up and down once everything is aligned? Just trying to plan this out so I don't have to move the stove in and out too many times.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

I don't think that would be compatible with my stove. Its a LOPI answer.
It would work but I am assuming the liner was not insulated correct?

Correct, the liner is not insulated.
You really should have gone with an oval insulated liner.it would fit properly and meet code