The scrounge I'm working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
Picture of part of the scrounge site I have been working

This is what I got for 2 hours work

Nice work. I saw on your pickup that you are from Lemars, IA. That's where my wife is from, my in-laws are still living up there. You can keep the snow up there, in Des Moines right now we are just getting a good rain.

Looks like nice little load for a couple of hours work.

Greg

Sure am. The site is just west of LeMars, near Brunsville. I was just down your way, for Thanksgiving.

The snow is just about right, nice and white out now!

The last time I hauled wood during a snow storm a couple of pieces slid off my trailer when I was traveling down the road and they tried to go back where they came from. I won't be doing that again anytime soon. :)

Nice looking scrounge you got going there!

Nice scrounge there, are you going to try and take all of it?

Now that is some easy cutting.

Well it's all cottonwood, so unless I find something else already seasoned I think I will use it this winter. The limbs 6" plus or minus seem to burn pretty good as is and the trunks up to 12" split burn pretty well after a few weeks, but the larger stuff is too wet right now and will have to wait until the end of the season.

Yeah, the lack of serious cutting is a big plus to this site. A nice one to start out my "woodburner" career on!

Holly corn cob! :bug:
That not a scrounge, it a year or more supply of wood :)
Can you drive right up to it?
Have fun

On either end I can, otherwise it's too steep. But good thing is I can roll them down to the truck and trailer at the edge of the corn field!

Good ole "Gravity"
I've used the same trick a few times
PS, Never cut down hill from the truck :lol:
I use a pulley & pull the log up the hill with the truck when I can, or have "young gun" helpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.